Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org> on 2001/12/28 23:57:40 UTC

Re: Automatic portlet creation

Mark,

Mark Orciuch wrote:

> I am looking into implementing functionality to automatically preload all
> portlets at portal startup. I noticed existing property
> "autocreate.portlets". After examining the source code, I concluded that
> this setting is not used in the context that I'm looking for. I also found

What is the "context" you are "looking for"?

> class org.apache.jetspeed.daemon.impl.util.feeddaemon.EntryInstantiator
> which appears to be doing what I'm searching for. This class does not seem
> to be invoked from anywhere and is perhaps unfinished (?).

I believe this is used by "feeds" defined in JR.p

> I'm wondering if anyone is aware of the state of this class and what would
> be the proper way of using it. Any suggestions on implementing portlet
> preload functionality would also be welcome. Thank you in advance.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mark C. Orciuch

I am will be working on the caching in Jetspeed.  In the process of
determining how the caching currently works, I found the portlets which
are determined to be "local" are only in cache for 30 minutes.  Remote
portlets the utilize DiskCaching have their content cached in the
<jetspeed_home>/WEB-INF/cache directory.

Paul Spencer

global pane

Posted by Mehmet Necati AYSAN <ne...@hotmail.com>.
Hi

Is there a way to define the tab panes as global in order to show the same
page for the first for a user or a group?

Thanks

Re: Automatic portlet creation

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
Mark,

Mark Orciuch wrote:

> Paul,
>
> I was not aware that portlets are cached that way. I guess it will make it a
> bit tricky. Just few more questions:
>
> - Will "_preload_default_content" be an entry in jr.props? Or portlet config
> attribute? Hopefully, the first one.

My initial thought was setting this only in the <portlet-entry>, but also having a

configurable default value set in JR.p is a good idea.

> - Will pre-loading involve placing the portlet in portlet cache or just
> caching the portlet URL? Hopefully, the first one.

The portlet would be preloaded into cache.  It will be up to the portlet
to load it's content.

> - What is a portlet that generates user specific content - one that has a
> customizer attached to it?

Any RSS or WebPagePortlet will generate content using parameters in the
PSML.  I am sure their are others.  I an not aware of a portlet that
utilizes user information in it content generation.  An example of this
is an email client.

> - Would it be simple enough to add API for "manual" re-loading of a portlet
> (or all instances of the same portlet customized in variety of ways)? Right
> now, I have to remove it directly from GlobalCache to achieve this.

The GlobalCache is where this need to be done.  As a part of reworking
the caching, I am looking into an "admin" function that will remove
cached entries.

> Other than that, it's definitely a usable enhancement and I'll log it in
> Bugzilla. Thanks!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mark C. Orciuch
> Next Generation Solutions, Ltd.