Posted to dev@zeppelin.apache.org by madhuka udantha <ma...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/08 04:52:55 UTC

[GSOC] Map Visualization for Zeppelin

I am working on adding map visualization [1] for Zeppelin. I found 3
libraries for map visualization.

   - Google Map Chart
   - Geochart
   - Highmaps

The '*Google Map Chart*' use the Google Maps API. Data values can be
coordinates. I contain satellite imagery (terrain map).  Since 'Google Map
Chart' is with Google map It could be the best matching for our need.

'*Geochart*' is also coming from google chart. It is using line drawings
rather than satellite imagery. A geochart is rendered within the browser
using SVG or VML. Note that the geochart is not scrollable or draggable,
and it's a line drawing rather than a terrain map.

'*Highmaps*' is from Highcharts geo maps. It contain Highmaps plugin.
Highmaps loads its maps from GeoJSON.

Your ideas are welcome in here.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-157

[2] https://developers.google.com/chart/interactive/docs/gallery/map

[3] https://developers.google.com/chart/interactive/docs/gallery/geochart

[4] http://www.highcharts.com/docs/maps/

--
Cheers,
Madhuka Udantha

Re: [GSOC] Map Visualization for Zeppelin

Posted by madhuka udantha <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Map visualization is developed with leaflet in zeppelin (PR#152
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-zeppelin/pull/152>)
Data validation services also added for Map charts.

Documentation can be found in PR#203
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-zeppelin/pull/203>, Here are some blog
post on them

   1. Introducing New Chart Library and Types for Apache Zeppelin[1]
   2. Tutorial with Map Visualization in Apache Zeppelin [2]
   3. Zeppelin Data Validation Service [3]

[1]
http://madhukaudantha.blogspot.com/2015/08/introducing-new-chart-library-and-types.html
[2]
http://madhukaudantha.blogspot.com/2015/08/tutorial-with-map-visualization-in.html
[3]
http://madhukaudantha.blogspot.com/2015/08/zeppelin-data-validation-service.html

Thanks

Posted by madhuka udantha <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Damien Corneau <dc...@nflabs.com>.

Posted by tog <gu...@gmail.com>.
That is indeed a very good point. I know that OpenLayers can adapt (and
there are demo about it) to several so called tile providers (Google being
one) and I have already implemented one based on Geoserver.
Not going that far, I would be interested to understand how a map widget
would integrate to Zeppelin. Would it be similar to Databricks ?
I know that I would be interested not only to see dots on a map, but
trajectories (ie lines) which can probably be managed by some kind of
tables.
There might be some need for some overlays (layers) as well and here I
would be interested to see if there is already a vision on how that would
fit in Zeppelin.

Posted by IT CTO <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by madhuka udantha <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jim, For the information.

Posted by Jim Cooley <ji...@ubixlabs.com>.

Posted by madhuka udantha <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Simon

Posted by Simon Ball <sb...@hortonworks.com>.

On Jul 8, 2015, at 7:23 AM, madhuka udantha <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi, Tog

Thanks for sharing your idea.

OpenLayers is seems a quite good library. It is using OpenStreetMap.
OpenStreetMap is open data, licensed under the Open Data Commons Open
Database License (ODbL) by the OpenStreetMap Foundation (OSMF). Think it is
not conflict with zeppelin license

Newly they added Bower distribution[1] so there may be few integrating
issue

[1] https://github.com/openlayers/ol3/issues/3119

From experience OpenLayers is quite good as it adapt to many tile providers

Posted by madhuka udantha <ma...@gmail.com>.