Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by John Neffenger <jo...@status6.com> on 2020/10/23 16:14:50 UTC

Snap package by Apache NetBeans✓ (Verified account)

On 10/21/20 10:01 PM, Laszlo Kishalmi wrote:
> I just came up with the warning as I'm seriously thinking about somehow
> moving the Snap out of Apache distribution as there is no legal way to
> me to package everything into one working out of the box package.

For those of us on Ubuntu, the Snap package is one of the best things
that happened to NetBeans recently. I'm very grateful to Laszlo for
creating it.

I'm conservative in what I install on my development machine from the
Snap Store, though, especially when the package requires "classic" mode
to disable the security confinement. That means I'll only install Snap
packages from a verified account.

The "verified" marker shows up as a check mark next to the publisher's
name in the listing:

   $ snap info netbeans
   name:      netbeans
   summary:   Apache NetBeans IDE
   publisher: Apache NetBeans✓

I personally trust anything Laszlo builds, but that's only because I'm
on this mailing list and in his Telegram group. I understand the
frustration of users getting NetBeans without a JDK, but I think it's
important to keep at least one package in the Snap store from a
well-known, trusted, and verified publisher.

Thanks,
John

Re: Snap package by Apache NetBeans✓ (Verified account)

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Well,

Yes, that verified publisher is a really valuable asset. I might open a
new distribution or join to some. So do not worry.