Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Anoop kumar V <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/01 19:49:18 UTC

mod_perl installation problem

I am having problems installing mod_perl. I have installed perl from
ActivePerl-5.8.8.820-MSWin32-x86-274739. I still get the error
"Cannot load C:/tools/Apache2/modules/mod_perl.so into server: The specified
module could not be found."

C:\tools\Apache2\bin>perl -V
Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 8) configuration:
  Platform:
    osname=MSWin32, osvers=4.0, archname=MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
    uname=''
    config_args='undef'
    hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=undef
    usethreads=define use5005threads=undef useithreads=define
usemultiplicity=define
    useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
    use64bitint=undef use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
    usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef
  Compiler:
    cc='cl', ccflags ='-nologo -GF -W3 -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG -O1 -DWIN32
-D_CONSOLE -DNO_STRICT -DHAVE_DES_FCRYPT -DNO_HASH_SEED -DUSE_SITECUSTOMIZE
-DPERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT -DPERL_IMPLI
CIT_SYS -DUSE_PERLIO -DPERL_MSVCRT_READFIX',
    optimize='-MD -Zi -DNDEBUG -O1',
    cppflags='-DWIN32'
    ccversion='12.00.8804', gccversion='', gccosandvers=''
    intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=1234
    d_longlong=undef, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=10
    ivtype='long', ivsize=4, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='__int64',
lseeksize=8
    alignbytes=8, prototype=define
  Linker and Libraries:
    ld='link', ldflags ='-nologo -nodefaultlib -debug -opt:ref,icf
-libpath:"c:\tools\perl\lib\CORE"  -machine:x86'
    libpth=\lib
    libs=  oldnames.lib kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib
comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib  netapi32.lib
uuid.lib ws2_32.lib mpr.lib winmm
.lib  version.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib msvcrt.lib
    perllibs=  oldnames.lib kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib
comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib  netapi32.lib
uuid.lib ws2_32.lib mpr.lib w
inmm.lib  version.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib msvcrt.lib
    libc=msvcrt.lib, so=dll, useshrplib=yes, libperl=perl58.lib
    gnulibc_version=''
  Dynamic Linking:
    dlsrc=dl_win32.xs, dlext=dll, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' '
    cccdlflags=' ', lddlflags='-dll -nologo -nodefaultlib -debug
-opt:ref,icf  -libpath:"c:\tools\perl\lib\CORE"  -machine:x86'

  Compile-time options: MULTIPLICITY PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT
                        PERL_IMPLICIT_SYS PERL_MALLOC_WRAP
                        PL_OP_SLAB_ALLOC USE_ITHREADS USE_LARGE_FILES
                        USE_PERLIO USE_SITECUSTOMIZE
  Locally applied patches:
        ActivePerl Build 820 [274739]
        Iin_load_module moved for compatibility with build 806
        PerlEx support in CGI::Carp
        Less verbose ExtUtils::Install and Pod::Find
        Patch for CAN-2005-0448 from Debian with modifications
        Rearrange @INC so that 'site' is searched before 'perl'
        Partly reverted 24733 to preserve binary compatibility
        29930 win32.c typo in #define MULTIPLICITY
        29868 win32_async_check() can still loop indefinitely
        29690,29732 ANSIfy the PATH environment variable on Windows
        29689 Add error handling to win32_ansipath
        29675 Use short pathnames in $^X and @INC
        29607,29676 allow blib.pm to be used for testing Win32 module
        29605 Implement killpg() for MSWin32
        29598 cwd() to return the short pathname
        29597 let readdir() return the alternate filename
        29590 Don't destroy the Unicode system environment on Perl startup
        29528 get ext/Win32/Win32.xs to compile on cygwin
        29509,29510,29511 Move Win32::* functions into Win32 module
        29483 Move Win32 from win32/ext/Win32 to ext/Win32
        29481 Makefile.PL changes to compile Win32.xs using cygwin
        28671 Define PERL_NO_DEV_RANDOM on Windows
        28376 Add error checks after execing PL_cshname or PL_sh_path
        28305 Pod::Html should not convert "foo" into ``foo''
        27833 Change anchor generation in Pod::Html for '=item item 2'
        27832,27847 fix Pod::Html::depod() for multi-line strings
        27719 Document the functions htmlify() and anchorify() in Pod::Html
        27619 Bug in Term::ReadKey being triggered by a bug in
Term::ReadLine
        27549 Move DynaLoader.o into libperl.so
        27528 win32_pclose() error exit doesn't unlock mutex
        27527 win32_async_check() can loop indefinitely
        27515 ignore directories when searching @INC
        27359 Fix -d:Foo=bar syntax
        27210 Fix quote typo in c2ph
        27203 Allow compiling swigged C++ code
        27200 Make stat() on Windows handle trailing slashes correctly
        27133 Initialise lastparen in the regexp structure
        27061 L<PerlIO> and Pod::Html
        27034 Avoid "Prototype mismatch" warnings with autouse
        26970 Make Passive mode the default for Net::FTP
        26921 Avoid getprotobyname/number calls in IO::Socket::INET
        26897,26903 Make common IPPROTO_* constants always available
        26670 Make '-s' on the shebang line parse -foo=bar switches
        26637 Make Borland and MinGW happy with change 26379
        26536 INSTALLSCRIPT versus INSTALLDIRS
        26379 Fix alarm() for Windows 2003
        26087 Storable 0.1 compatibility
        25861 IO::File performace issue
        25084 long groups entry could cause memory exhaustion
        24699 ICMP_UNREACHABLE handling in Net::Ping
  Built under MSWin32
  Compiled at Jan 23 2007 15:57:46
  @INC:
    c:/tools/perl/site/lib
    c:/tools/perl/lib
    .

C:\tools\Apache2\bin>apache -v
Server version: Apache/2.0.59
Server built:   Jul 27 2006 15:55:03

C:\tools\Apache2\bin>apache -V
Server version: Apache/2.0.59
Server built:   Jul 27 2006 15:55:03
Server's Module Magic Number: 20020903:12
Server loaded:  APR 0.9.12, APR-UTIL 0.9.12
Compiled using: APR 0.9.12, APR-UTIL 0.9.12
Architecture:   32-bit
Server compiled with....
 -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/winnt"
 -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
 -D APR_HAS_MMAP
 -D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
 -D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
 -D HTTPD_ROOT="/apache"
 -D SUEXEC_BIN="/apache/bin/suexec"
 -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
 -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error.log"
 -D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
 -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"

C:\tools\Apache2\bin>ppm install
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/mod_perl.ppd
Downloading mod_perl-2.0.3...done
Unpacking mod_perl-2.0.3...done
Generating HTML for mod_perl-2.0.3...done
Updating files in site area...done
Downloading mod_perl-2.0.3 install script...done
Running mod_perl-2.0.3 install script...
The Apache2 module mod_perl.so is needed to complete the installation,
and should be placed in your Apache2 modules directory. I will
now fetch and install this for you.

Fetching http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/x86/mod_perl.so ...  done!
Where should mod_perl.so be placed? [D:/Apache2/modules]
C:/tools/Apache2/modules
mod_perl.so has been successfully installed to C:/tools/Apache2/modules.
To enable mod_perl, put in the directives
   LoadFile "C:/Path/to/Perl/bin/perl58.dll"
in httpd.conf. For more information, visit
   http://perl.apache.org/
and especially see
   http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/rename.html

done
 465 files installed

C:\tools\Apache2\bin>Apache.exe
Syntax error on line 175 of C:/tools/Apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load C:/tools/Apache2/modules/mod_perl.so into server: The specified
module could not be found.

C:\tools\Apache2\bin>dir c:\tools\perl\bin\perl58.dll
 Volume in drive C is Anoop
 Volume Serial Number is 30BE-C213

 Directory of c:\tools\perl\bin

01/23/2007  03:58 PM           802,902 perl58.dll
               1 File(s)        802,902 bytes
               0 Dir(s)  16,509,984,768 bytes free

In httpd.conf - I have added these two lines:

LoadFile "c:/tools/perl/bin/perl58.dll"

I also tried removing the quotes:

LoadFile c:/tools/perl/bin/perl58.dll

Now when I run apache - I still get the same error:

--
Thanks and best regards,
Anoop

Re: mod_perl installation problem

Posted by Jeremy Wall <je...@marzhillstudios.com>.
On Monday 05 March 2007 10:26, Anoop kumar V wrote:
> I think I figured out the exact problem (not the solution)... apache starts
> fine when forced to start on the commandline, but fails to start as a
> service. SO it is not a problem of the apachemonitor per se.
>
> It is wierd that something stops apache running as a service. Also it does
> not write any logs whatsoever, to help troubleshooting!

What user is Apache running as when run as a service? It sounds like the user
it runs as does not have perl in it's path or does not have permission to
read the perl path location.

To check path make sure the the perl is added to the path globally and not
just for a user.

For the second look at perls installation path and make sure that Apache's
runas user is able to read the files from there.

Posted by Anoop kumar V <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anoop kumar V <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.

Posted by Anoop kumar V <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.

Posted by Anoop kumar V <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anoop kumar V <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Anoop kumar V wrote:

> I am having problems installing mod_perl. I have installed perl from
> ActivePerl-5.8.8.820-MSWin32-x86-274739. I still get the error
> "Cannot load C:/tools/Apache2/modules/mod_perl.so into server: The specified
> module could not be found."
[ ... ]