Posted to droids-dev@incubator.apache.org by florent andré <fl...@4sengines.com> on 2010/11/22 09:46:16 UTC

Who take the lead ?

Hi all,

We are many to be interesting in this great Droids project and have many
ideas for the future (recent mails show this).

Thorsten, thanks to him, leads this project till now, but don't have
still much time for it (and we understand him ! :) )

So, I think it could be cool if someone (or two, three,...) with enough
karma, can charge of taking the lead of this project.

Have a lead is a requirement to ensure a good growing of "baby Droids"
imho.

Cheers,
++

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 23/11/2010 13:25, Sylvain Garaud wrote:
> I will publish some documentation on how I used the droid core API for
> my use case, which is interfacing droids with the java ROME library.

Perfect!!!

Looking forward to it.

Ross

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Sylvain Garaud <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hello all,

I monitor the droids project since a long time now without
contributing for nothing.
My first goal was to find an inspiration source to design a robot.
At that time, I already had a simple implementation inspired by the
source code published by Andreas Hess.

I really think that the project is a solid foundation for designing
powerful crawlers.
From my point of view, few use cases using the core API should be
published, starting by the documentation.
Some old web crawler implementation not using the core API should be
removed because it makes things difficult to understand.

I will publish some documentation on how I used the droid core API for
my use case, which is interfacing droids with the java ROME library.

Regards,

Sylvain

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <sc...@gmail.com>.

RE: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Fuad Efendi <fu...@efendi.ca>.
Hi,
I have enough karma and I already seen many TODOs and even bad coding
practices in Droids so that I decided not to use it... I'd use it but there
are so many frequent core changes which I need so that it would be hard
without having comitter's access... and probably many others have similar
feelings... I am also familiar with Nutch, BIXO, and many other stuff
Right now I have specific requirements (vertical search + RSS ping), I can
use Droids for this; I am planning to use HBase + SOLR too.
-Fuad

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 11/22/2010 08:48 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>
>> A patch that fixes this, and just this would be easy to review and apply.
>>
>> If you have the energy and desire then go for it. If not - fair enough
>> let's allow Droids to go to sleep.
>>
>> This was suggested recently, people said "no", we need to see community
>> and code if the project is to stay alive.
>>
>> I don't use it. I don't care one way or the other - if others cars then
>> I'll apply appropriate parches until someone earns sufficient merit.
>>
>> Ross
>>

> Thank you Ross.
>
> I think what we're seeing here is that there is a community interested in
> using Droids. However, either they're not sure on how to use it
> (documentation), or not sure if they're contributions back will be
> committed.
>
> To the community:
>
> For documentation, it is true that many of us don't like writing
> documentation. Perhaps it might be useful if people started asking questions
> about how to do X. That can help guide where the documentation needs to go.
> Others on this list may have answers to your questions.

From the peanut gallery, I'd echo Tony's suggestion earlier.  I'd
suggest that the Droids team could boost their participation level
immensely by providing a simple bootstrapping/quickstart document.
Something like Apache Click[1] where, in a couple simple steps you can
download a jar, write a handful of code, and see "something."
Something doesn't have to be useful - it has to be simple enough to
entice me to learn more on my own - pointing to the test code isn't
going to drive much adoption I think.

--tim

[1] - http://click.apache.org/

Feedback (was Re: Who take the lead ?)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <sc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 23:42 +0100, Chapuis Bertil wrote:
> This one may also be added to the list :-)
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DROIDS-56
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bertil
>
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Eugen Paraschiv <ha...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > There are patches submitted for the following issues:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DROIDS-106
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DROIDS-111
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DROIDS-92
> > Waiting for your feedback.
> > Thanks.
> > Eugen.

I reviewed 92 and 111. When I was up to apply the patch the server gives
me 500.

I tried in a different ASF rep but with the same result. Maybe it is on
my end but it seems like the ASF svn is down.

salu2

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Chapuis Bertil <bc...@agimem.com>.

--
Bertil Chapuis
Agimem Sàrl

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Eugen Paraschiv <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Eugen Paraschiv <ha...@gmail.com>.
Good to know, I will start working on the patches then. Thanks.

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Eugen Paraschiv <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Eugene,

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Eugen Paraschiv <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Fuad Efendi <fu...@efendi.ca>.

RE: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Fuad Efendi <fu...@efendi.ca>.
Yes, I created big noise around; but not a big yet...

RE: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

RE: Who take the lead ?

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Fuad Efendi <fu...@efendi.ca> wrote:
>> It is easy for us to talk about wanting the project to improve, but
> without action not much will happen.
>
> And, the best action is to contribute into incubator thousands of a
> much-better-quality projects, few-man-week each.
>
> Yes, but first of all we need good documentation, because Droids still looks
> like _UGLIEST_ IoC rewrite (Spring, Cocoon, and even other IoCs!!!) of a
> _buggy_ (and hard-to-customize) Nutch-Robot-Parser-OSGi... and it was even
> advertised as a _polite_ Robot (as an Apache subproject specifically
> designed for "Polite Internet Crawler" use case)
>
> So, what about (HTTP) Robot, how much work remaining to make it polite?
> 2-years-behind-Nutch-BIXO-Heritrix? And, is it easy to plugin HBase Sink?
>
> Wonderfully, your framework doesn't use Hibernate & Compass.

Hi Fuad,
Can you offer a patch to address the issues you've brought up?  A
patch would offer some more concrete, objective feedback that the
community could evaluate.
Thanks,
--tim

RE: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Fuad Efendi <fu...@efendi.ca>.
> It is easy for us to talk about wanting the project to improve, but
without action not much will happen.

And, the best action is to contribute into incubator thousands of a
much-better-quality projects, few-man-week each.

Yes, but first of all we need good documentation, because Droids still looks
like _UGLIEST_ IoC rewrite (Spring, Cocoon, and even other IoCs!!!) of a
_buggy_ (and hard-to-customize) Nutch-Robot-Parser-OSGi... and it was even
advertised as a _polite_ Robot (as an Apache subproject specifically
designed for "Polite Internet Crawler" use case)

So, what about (HTTP) Robot, how much work remaining to make it polite?
2-years-behind-Nutch-BIXO-Heritrix? And, is it easy to plugin HBase Sink?

Wonderfully, your framework doesn't use Hibernate & Compass.

-Fuad
(action)

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Paul Rogalinski <pa...@paul.vc>.
I do, although there not really much to re-use as it is.

Regards,
Paul.

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
On 11/24/2010 07:11 AM, Fuad Efendi wrote:

> Thanks Florent; I am just wondering is anyone using this codebase for
> commercial project? My understanding is no one... including guys "invested
> souls", they just mentor project but they don't use it (and they don't like
> it), how can?!
>

> I'll try to use it for my current project, I'll share findings...
>

> Thanks

If you don't think the project is up to your quality, you don't have to
use it. Sending content to SOLR is relatively easy. I've created a
crawler based on Droids that does just that.

In short, mentors in the Incubator at the ASF are there to make sure
that the project develops a healthy community in the Apache Way. Mentors
volunteer their time to help with community actions. They don't
necessarily have to use the project themselves.

RE: Who take the lead ?

Posted by florent andré <fl...@4sengines.com>.
Hey Fuad,

RE: Who take the lead ?

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
Hello-

Life has swooped up most of my time (baby, work etc)... so I have not
been able to focus on droids at all.  Earlier this year, i think we
added two more committers, but i think things have been pretty quiet
since then:

http://search-lucene.com/m/49fNpCl04N
http://search-lucene.com/m/Via2e2c1VPF

In general, patches are *the* way to get karma and move the project
forward.  It is easy for us to talk about wanting the project to
improve, but without action not much will happen.  For people who want
to help keep droids alive, patches are the best way to help.

ryan

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

RE: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Fuad Efendi <fu...@efendi.ca>.

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
I'm not a committer, but I am a mentor.

Submit your patches and they will be reviewed and applied.

As for docs, I agree.

Submit your patches and they will be reviewed and applied.

Submit enough patches and you'll get commit rights - problem solved.

Ross

Sent from my mobile device.

Re: Who take the lead ?

Posted by Paul Rogalinski <pa...@paul.vc>.