Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Dario Laverde <da...@nycjava.net> on 2007/09/12 18:40:48 UTC

can't get "collapsed ear" / webapp based ejbs working

hi all,

Good to see 3.1 almost there. But I'm having some problem per the available docs:

Can you review these? I tried both on Tomcat 5.5 and 6.0 (some notes below)

Configure OpenEJB per webapp requires the following steps:

Copy the openejb-loader-*.jar into the WEB-INF/lib directory of the webapp that is
to use EJBs deployed onto OpenEJB
Add the loader servlet definition to the WEB-INF/web.xml file of the webapp with a
valid value for openejb.home init-param.
<servlet>
    <servlet-name>loader</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>org.openejb.loader.LoaderServlet</servlet-class>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>openejb.loader</param-name>
      <param-value>tomcat-webapp</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>openejb.home</param-name>
      <param-value>...define OPENEJB_HOME here...</param-value>

note: do we need openejb.home here?

    </init-param>
    <load-on-startup>0</load-on-startup>
  </servlet>

Should you define other OpenEJB configuration settings use another <init-param>
stanza. It's just for that. These parameters are directly passed to OpenEJB at
initialization of the servlet. Think about the loader servlet as a bridge between
OpenEJB's world (EJBs) and Tomcat's world (servlets, JSPs).

At startup OpenEJB prints out all of the configuration settings to Tomcat logs:

INFO: Installing web application at context path /openejb from URL
file:C:\webapps\openejb
OpenEJB init-params:
        param-name: openejb.home, param-value: c:\openejb
        param-name: openejb.configuration, param-value: conf\openejb.cfg
        param-name: openejb.base, param-value: c:\webapps\openejb\WEB-INF\openejb
        param-name: openejb.loader, param-value: tomcat-webapp
Start up Tomcat and have fun with the EJBs

I looked at all the logs - no luck, do I also need to configure bean lookups? I
thought that was done automatically..

thanks,
Dario

Re: can't get 'collapsed ear' / webapp based ejbs working

Posted by Dario Laverde <da...@nycjava.net>.
> What do you mean by bean look-ups, u mean assign JNDI names for them ?

I mean I'm using
@EJB private static MyBean mybean;
on the client

Just wondering if I'm missing any additional configuration, yes jndi properties
somewhere.

BTW I'm writing up a how-to on OpenEJB+Tomcat (specifically the multi-instance and
not the single instance of OpenEJB in Tomcat) I was about to post it on my blog
assuming it would've worked per instructions but I'm having problems.

thanks,
Dario

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: can't get 'collapsed ear' / webapp based ejbs working

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Sep 12, 2007, at 1:48 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> Restrictions
> o The installer only runs on Unix.  Windows support will require a
> tweaked catalina.bat and a work around for Windows file locking.
> Cygwin won't work either and will require even more work arounds in
> the Unix code to deal with pathing problems.
> o There is no uninstaller.  Currently, the installer deletes the
> non-compliant Tomcat annotations-api.jar so in addition to backing
> out the changes, you need to restore this file.
> o Annotations in servlets to OpenEJB resources (EJBs,
> PersistenceUnits, Topics, Queues, DataSources, etc) don't resolve.
> You will have to use global JNDI for the time being.
> o There is no security integration.  I suggest you don't even try
> using secured EJB in Tomcat embedded mode yet.

o We only support Tomcat 6 and I suggest you use the newest version
as I haven't tested any older 6 revisions.  We could potentially
support older versions of Tomcat if there were enough demand, but I
doubt there will be since OpenEJB 3 requires Java5.

-dain

Re: can't get 'collapsed ear' / webapp based ejbs working

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
The installer is still a work in progress (I'm working on it today),
but the currently checked in version works fine on unix.

David's process is correct, but here are the exact steps:

1. copy openejb-tomcat-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT-bin.zip to your Tomcat webapps
directory
2. make sure Tomcat is running
3. visit http://localhost:8080/openejb/installer
4. Assuming you don't get any errors, reboot tomcat

At this point OpenEJB will be installed just like the manual
instructions (http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENEJB/New
+Instructions).  As for your applications, simply include EJBs in
your war WEB-INF/classes or WEB-INF/lib/*.jar using either annotated
classes or via a META-INF/ejb-jar.xml file.

Restrictions
o The installer only runs on Unix.  Windows support will require a
tweaked catalina.bat and a work around for Windows file locking.
Cygwin won't work either and will require even more work arounds in
the Unix code to deal with pathing problems.
o There is no uninstaller.  Currently, the installer deletes the non-
compliant Tomcat annotations-api.jar so in addition to backing out
the changes, you need to restore this file.
o Annotations in servlets to OpenEJB resources (EJBs,
PersistenceUnits, Topics, Queues, DataSources, etc) don't resolve.
You will have to use global JNDI for the time being.
o There is no security integration.  I suggest you don't even try
using secured EJB in Tomcat embedded mode yet.

Hope this helps,

-dain

Posted by Dario Laverde <da...@nycjava.net>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Dario Laverde <da...@nycjava.net>.
Yes I did but I assumed this was for the single instance mode and not the per-webapp
instructions - is there an update for that one? Both the main site and the
confluence site have not updated the webapps-based-ejbs page (both are the same and
reference openejb 1.0) - has this changed since e.g. Tomcat 6.0 support?

thanks,
Dario

Posted by Dario Laverde <da...@nycjava.net>.
Yes I did but I assumed this was for the single instance mode and the per webapp

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

--
Karan Singh Malhi