Posted to general@xerces.apache.org by ro...@us.ibm.com on 2000/01/19 01:16:11 UTC

RE: Proposal for Xerces-J Schema validators for timeInstant and t imeDuration

>To anticipate the type-aware DOM, you might pass an optional DOMNode
object
>to the validate method.  The DOMNode object might eventually type specific
>setValue's [such as setValue(DOMTimeDuration)] methods for example that
the
>validator could use to set the converted value.

I would be against any tying of the validator to the DOM. This would be
against the clean layering of the system. Also, you are assuming that DOM
would be the only place in which such stuff might be stored for later
validation, which is probably not true. It may just be that either the hit
must be taken to have the validator revalidate against a lexical
representation, or some abstraction must be provided via which specialized
representations can be made available to the validator (which might be a
big pain, I dunno.) But I just don't think that we would want to get into
making the validators aware of the DOM itself.

Dean Roddey
Software Weenie
IBM Center for Java Technology - Silicon Valley
roddey@us.ibm.com