Posted to dev@opennlp.apache.org by Michael Schmitz <sc...@cs.washington.edu> on 2012/06/09 00:55:44 UTC

Host stock models in maven central

Hi, is there any interest in hosting the stock OpenNLP models in Maven
Central?  I know that OpenNLP intends for users to train models on
their particular corpus, but often it's useful to get started with the
stock models.

I'm developing a common interface to some NLP toolkits in Scala and
would like to include OpenNLP.  I would like to use OpenNLP and have
use the stock models by default as a maven dependency.  If I do this,
then I don't need to include the models with my artifact and I don't
need to keep the models in my git repository.  More importantly, users
can exclude the stock models if they wish.

What do you think?

Peace.  Michael

Re: Host stock models in maven central

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Am 10.06.2012 um 00:44 schrieb James Kosin:

> It is one of the things we are working on.  The problem is most if not
> all the models are currently trained on copyrighted material that
> restricts the usage of the resulting trained data to research purposes ONLY.
> We currently host the models on another site; due to this limitation and
> the licensing conflict that would result if we tried to host on Apache.
>
> You are more than welcome to help, if you choose.

I'm working on the DKPro Core [1] project (UIMA-based NLP components). The project
integrates a growing number of different NLP tools into a common interoperable
framework. We've also started integrating OpenNLP now. We figured that our
preferred API and way of using UIMA is sufficiently different from OpenNLP's
UIMA integration that we started doing our own. Well, so much for the
background.

We have a public Artifactory (Maven repository) up and running on which we
host the our Open Source stuff that we cannot put on Maven Central for one
reason or the other. We wouldn't mind hosting additional models as long as
redistribution is not explicitly prohibited.

Actually, we do already host several of the OpenNLP models [2] in that Maven
repository. We do not simply host the bin files, but wrap them up in JARs again
which makes it easier to add them as Maven dependencies and load them from the
classpath.

So if you are looking for a place to drop redistributable OpenNLP models
(research only is ok for us), feel free to drop me a note. The only thing
we ask for is some information regarding the license and redistributability,
so we can make sure redistribution is not explicitly generally prohibited.

Feel free to use the wrapped models we already have as Maven dependencies in
your own projects. The model JARs contain the bin and a bit of metadata. If
you like the wrapped models and need other models wrapped, just tell me.

-- Richard

[1] http://code.google.com/p/dkpro-core-asl/
[2] https://zoidberg.ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/artifactory/webapp/search/artifact?q=opennlp-model

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universität Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
eckart@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: Host stock models in maven central

Posted by James Kosin <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 8/8/2012 10:31 AM, Jason Baldridge wrote:
> Sorry if I missed something along the way -- who did the annotation of the
> Wikipedia data?
>
> BTW, the OANC will soon come out with their 3.0 release of MASC (the
> Manually Annotated Sub-Corpus), with about 800k tokens of English text
> (multiple domains, including twitter, blogs, transcribed spoken, and more)
> labeled with several different levels of analysis, including chunks (noun
> and verb), entities, tokens, POS tags, sentence boundaries, and logical
> forms.
>
> http://www.americannationalcorpus.org/MASC/Home.html

Jason,

It looks interesting; but, they only provide annotations for the data
with 80K words right now.  They have data-sets for the others only.  :-(

But, they provide a subset of 40K words in CoNNL 08 format.

With our architecture, it doesn't matter much on the format it is just
on getting a converter to extract the data we need.  Looks like we could
even train tokenizer and sentence detector on the structure provided.

Re: Host stock models in maven central

Posted by James Kosin <ja...@gmail.com>.
Jason & Jorn,

They say the support will be back up in October on the web-site.  The
CoNLL 2008 format looks promising.  But any of the others would probably
work.  They seem to have problems with the Penn Treebank format they
have several patches against that format.

James

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Baldridge <ja...@gmail.com>.

--
Jason Baldridge
Associate Professor, Department of Linguistics

Re: Host stock models in maven central

Posted by James Kosin <ja...@gmail.com>.
http://www.anc.org/

Posted by Jason Baldridge <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmitz <sc...@cs.washington.edu>.
Hi, here are some models trained on Wikipedia data.  They have similar
performance.  Is this useful?

https://gist.github.com/3291931

Peace.  Michael

Posted by Michael Schmitz <sc...@cs.washington.edu>.