Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by chandra sekhar <se...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/19 15:45:59 UTC

RESPECTED SIR , A DOUBT IN UIMA.

Respected Sir , I am sekhar from India.

sir ,  when I am working eclipse modeling framework, when i followed these
steps : Help-> Software Updates-> Find and install etc ,

I am getting error message like : " network connection problems encountered
during search" . when i click detail button of these windows , these are the
details.

Network connection problems encountered during search.
  Unable to access "http://wiki.eclipse.org/EMF/Installation".
    Unable to access site: "http://wiki.eclipse.org/EMF/Installation"
[Server returned HTTP response code: "403 Forbidden" for URL:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/EMF/Installation.]
    Server returned HTTP response code: "403 Forbidden" for URL:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/EMF/Installation.
    Unable to access site: "http://wiki.eclipse.org/EMF/Installation"
[Server returned HTTP response code: "403 Forbidden" for URL:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/EMF/Installation.]
    Server returned HTTP response code: "403 Forbidden" for URL:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/EMF/Installation.

can u suggest me which site to use.
please provide a solution for this.

Re: RESPECTED SIR , A DOUBT IN UIMA.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Suggestion:  isolate the problem from the Cas Visual Debugger tool, by
running a simple Java application that runs the annotator.

Instructions for how to do that are in the tutorials and user guides
document on the Apache UIMA web site.

You can use the Eclipse debugger to single-step through things and see
where things are going wrong.

-Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I do not know what your "pdf file" is.  Although you say in an earlier
mail you "attached it", attachments do not come thru on this mailing
list.  Can you describe the PDF file?  I looked through our UIMA PDF's
and don't find this name.

If this name is coming from some other download you have done from some
other provider, please check to see that you have followed their
instructions for installation.  See if you can locate that file.  Once
you locate it, please add that path to your class path or data path.

-Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi -

 From another email you sent, I see you got by this error.  What did you
do to resolve this one?

-Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
For others wanting to follow this, the references to the "right side",
"left side" refer to the CAS Visual Debugger tool.  The PDF he refers to
is the article from IBM DeveloperWorks which is a tutorial on creating
UIMA applications, by Nicholas Chase, in case you want to search for it.

What this appears to be is that the annotator is not receiving any input
to annotate.  Please check the previous step where you are asked to
specify the data to be analyzed.  What did you specify?  Does that file
actually exist?

-Marshall

---- Copy below is of email sent to me and Tong Fin 23 Jan 2008, 11:23 AM

Respected Sir ,

I am implementing the pdf file attached with this mail.  I implemented
every thing well and without errors upto* SPECIFY THE ANALYSIS
DESCRIPTOR . *when I run the debuger , my text file is not appearing on
the right side. I am also attaching the ProductNumberAnnotator java
fiile I am using.   when I execute the command Run > Run
ProductNumberAEDescriptor in debugger window. I am getting these values
in left side of debugger .

 Annotation Index [1]
   uima.tcas.Annotation[1]
   uima.tcas.DocumentAnnotation
   com.backstopmedia.uima,tutorial.ProductNumber[0]
sofalIndex [0].

Sir ,please give me a solution for this.

Re: RESPECTED SIR , A DOUBT IN UIMA.

Posted by chandra sekhar <se...@gmail.com>.
Respected sir ,

I am implementing the pdf which i am attached with this mail. I executed
correctly upto SPECIFY THE ANALYSIS ENGINE  DESCRIPTOR.  While executing
SPECIFY THE ANALYSIS ENGINE  DESCRIPTOR  .
I am getting an error  " An import cannot be resolved.no .xml file with file

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
perhaps this is just a couple of spelling errors?

1. "Descriptor" has an "e" (not an "i") as the 2nd letter.
2. In the UIMA example descriptors, there is no
"ProductNumberDescriptor" file.  Did you put one in there that you are
trying to access?

-Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi -

You need to add classpath entries for your project that refer to the
UIMA jars in the lib directory of UIMA_HOME.
A simple way to do this is to open your project's properties (select the
project, then do menu: Project -> Properties) and select Java Build
Path.  Then select the Libraries tab, and click on Add Variable.  If you
haven't already done this, add a variable UIMA_HOME and set it to where
you installed UIMA.  (to do this, if you need to, click Configure
Variables...).  Select the UIMA_HOME variable, and click Extend... Then
expand the lib folder, and select uima-core.jar.

-Marshall

Posted by chandra sekhar <se...@gmail.com>.
Respected sir ,

I am implementing Product type Annotator . I implemented upto
typeSystemDescription.xml , but i found errors in in java classes generated.
ProductNumber_Type.java. totally i got 81 errors, some of the errors are
like this.

Severity and Description
casType cannot be resolved or is not a field

path
uima_examples/src/com/backstopmedia/uima/tutorial
ProductNumber_Type.java
line 86    1200901930062    876

etc.  please help me in this regard.

regards
sekhar.

Re: RESPECTED SIR , A DOUBT IN UIMA.

Posted by Tong Fin <to...@gmail.com>.
Please post more information about your Eclipse by doing as follows:
1. From Eclipse menu, go to:
       Help->About Eclipse SDK
2. When "About Eclipse SDK" is pop-up, click "Configuation Details" button.
3. When "Configuation Details" dialog is pop-up, scroll down a little bit
and post the text between
"*** Plug-in Registry:" and "*** User Preferences:" sections.

-- Tong

Posted by chandra sekhar <se...@gmail.com>.
respected sir ,  I checked for plugins ,but  i didnt find
org.apache.uima.desceditor plugin. can you please tell me how to install it?
i searched in google but i didnt found how to do it.

regards
sekhar

Re: RESPECTED SIR , A DOUBT IN UIMA.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Did you install the uima plugins?
If so, please do menu Window -> Show View -> Other -> PDE -> Plug-ins
and verify that the plugin
org.apache.uima.desceditor is shown, without any error markers.  If
there are error markers, please do
menu Window->Show View -> Other -> PDE ->Plug-in Dependencies, and see
if you can find the org.apache.uima.desceditor and see if it is missing
some required dependency.

-Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
chandra sekhar wrote:
> Respected Sir ,
>
> for option 2 ) When I  use
> http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/emf/updates/site.xml
> <http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/emf/updates/site.xml*>
> *
> *I got same prob.
>

> for oprion 3 ) I used Eclipse classic 3.3.1.1 so EMF is not available.
>

> sir , I downloaded EMF from http://wiki.eclipse.org/EMF/Installation  using
> via ZIP option, Is it possible to work  by installing this in local drive ,
> and specifying it  as remote local
> site.<http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/emf/updates/site.xml*>

I don't think so.  The zip you downloaded is not a zip of a local site,
but is, I think, the plugin itself.  Best thing is to read and follow
the directions on
http://wiki.eclipse.org/EMF/Installation to install it.

-Marshall

Re: RESPECTED SIR , A DOUBT IN UIMA.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
There are maybe two or three problems.

First - please check if you have a firewall that is blocking internet
access for particular programs (many firewalls have configuration per
program, and block out-bound internet access)  One way to check this is
to turn off the firewall for a test, and see if the connections go thru.

Second, the update site for eclipse emf is documented on
http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/emf/updates/
(Note - this is not the update sige, but it tells you what the update
site is.  According to this, the update site is
*http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/emf/updates/site.xml*

Third - if you downloaded and installed the most recent version of
Eclipse, depending on which packaging you downloaded, it may already
have EMF.  See the compare packages page on the download page for Eclipse:
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/moreinfo/compare.php

-Marshall