Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2004/04/26 05:36:12 UTC

[SUMMARY] IRC Meeting - 10:00 AM EST Sunday 25 2004

Time: 1400 UTC
Date: 25 April 2004
Venue: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #ApacheAvalon

Agenda;
  *  The Proposal of "Gang of Nine"  -  Move ECM+Fortress to CodeHaus.
  *  The Counter-proposal of Niclas Hedhman  -  Merlin TLP

Full log available at; http://www.apache.org/~niclas/irc/2004-04-25.150335.txt

Active Attendees;
Noel Bergman
Niclas Hedhman
Stephen McConnell
Leo Simons
Peter Donald
J Aaron Farr
Michael Nash
Andreas Oberhack
Peter Royal
Mauro Talevi
Alex Karasulu
Leif Mortenson
Shash Chatterjee

Lurkers
-------
(chicmome?)
Johan Sjöberg
(Spline)
(T'lexii)
Peter Courcoux
(I may have missed some lurker. Sorry if that is the case.)

Summary;
Everyone in this group agrees that Avalon is, and has been for a long time,
suffering from social illness. The meeting was scheduled to try find a
solution that everyone can work with.
Most of the Fortress-proponents (a.k.a. "Gang-of-Nine" and "Light-weight
camp") agreed that there was no real difference of keeping Fortress at ASF
from moving it to CodeHaus, other than the automatic split of community and
resolution of social illness. Noel's proposal of a Fortress TLP had slightly
better support than an Avalon without the Merlin-proponents (a.k.a
"CitySlickers" and "Heavy-weight camp").

The attendees came to the following consensus, being the most viable way
forward, both technically and socially.
  * Merlin TLP is to be formed.
  * Fortress/ECM TLP is to be formed
  * Avalon becomes the neutral collaboration forum
  * Each project depending on Avalon has a representative in Avalon PMC.
  * Each container project has an additional representative in Avalon PMC.
  * J Aaron Farr remains the Avalon Chair.
  * Avalon Framework, LogKit, Cornerstone and Sandbox  stays
    within Avalon at least for the time being.
  * Excalibur+Fortress (already in the same CVS module) is moved to the
    Fortress TLP.
  * Meta, Repository, Util, Merlin, Composition, Activation is moved to
    Merlin TLP.

After-math;
Noel's initiative http://wiki.apache.org/avalon/Reorganization was edited
frequently afterwards (a total of 30 revisions so far) to formulate the new
structure.
Work on this document should continue.

Unresolved and "Not discussed" issue;
Avalon Logging is at the moment purely used by Merlin, but is rather generic
and can remain in Avalon. However, currently there is a dependency in Avalon
Logging on Repository, which probably is not in the interest to remain at
Avalon. This issue should be discussed separately on the mailing list, and I
think it will not be difficult to reach consensus on this.

Thank you all for attending, and let's all work in positive spirit to move
forward.

Niclas Hedhman

P.S.  This is a cross-post. Discussions on this should ONLY appear on the
dev@avalon.apache.org mailing list. Thanks for your cooperation.

CC: Avalon PMC List
    Avalon Users List
    Cocoon Development List
    Apache Board

BCC: Gang-of-Nine, to ensure everyone involved receives the summary.

Re: [SUMMARY] IRC Meeting - 10:00 AM EST Sunday 25 2004

Posted by Timothy Bennett <ex...@comcast.net>.
Anton Tagunov wrote:
> Hello, guys!
>
> NH>   * Merlin TLP is to be formed.
> NH>   * Fortress/ECM TLP is to be formed
> NH>   * Avalon becomes the neutral collaboration forum
>
> A wish: when the new projects are being formed will
> we be able to start directly from Subversion w/o any
> intermidiate cvs?

That is the plan for the Merlin TLP.  Can't speak about Fortress/ECM
TLP, and I'm not sure about the timeline to migrate the framework from
CVS to SVN.

Re: [SUMMARY] IRC Meeting - 10:00 AM EST Sunday 25 2004

Posted by Anton Tagunov <at...@list.ru>.
Hello, guys!

NH>   * Merlin TLP is to be formed.
NH>   * Fortress/ECM TLP is to be formed
NH>   * Avalon becomes the neutral collaboration forum

A wish: when the new projects are being formed will
we be able to start directly from Subversion w/o any
intermidiate cvs?

Cheers, Anton