Posted to users@solr.apache.org by mtn search <se...@gmail.com> on 2021/10/18 15:07:50 UTC

Solr Best Practices

Hello Solr Group,

Is there a general summary page of Solr best practices?  And particularly
one for sizing Solr nodes, shards, and collections?

Thanks,
Ed

Re: Solr Best Practices

Posted by Shawn Heisey <el...@elyograg.org>.
On 10/18/21 9:07 AM, mtn search wrote:
> Is there a general summary page of Solr best practices?  And particularly
> one for sizing Solr nodes, shards, and collections?

We do not have general advice for hardware sizing.  There are many
things involved in coming up with a recommendation.  And we often find
that if we do make a recommendation without asking a ton of questions
that people often cannot answer, it ends up being the wrong
recommendation.  It's sometimes the wrong recommendation even if we DO
ask a ton of questions and receive answers.

One rule of thumb that I find is almost always true:  It's probably
going to require more memory than you think it will.

I run a Solr server that provides full-text search for my dovecot
install.  The index is about 600 megabytes, with about 150K documents.
This instance runs successfully with a 256MB heap, even when doing full
index rebuilds.  I didn't think I could run it with such a small heap,
because usually people need to increase the default heap size of 512MB.

https://lucidworks.com/post/solr-sizing-guide-estimating-solr-sizing-hardware/

Thanks,
Shawn