Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2008/07/30 23:34:26 UTC

blanket software grant

I would like to checkin a set of localizations for newly added Derby
error messages. The localizations, for eight languages, were prepared by
a translating team inside my company. I believe that I need a software
grant to cover this contribution. My company seems willing to contribute
similar translations for future releases as well. Can the grant be
general enough that it covers not just the immediate contribution but
also future localizations?

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: blanket software grant

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@apache.org>.
Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Jean,
>
> On Jul 30, 2008, at 7:57 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>> Craig L Russell wrote:
>>> Sun has a master agreement (specially negotiated CCLA) with Apache.
>>> My advice is to have your VP (Marten) sign an Attachment A to the
>>> master agreement and then post the donation on the IP Clearance
>>> incubation site for review. This is how large donations to Apache
>>> Derby have been handled in the past. And the DB PMC is comfortable
>>> with this process.
>>>
>>> Anyone paying attention to the Derby commit log will notice the
>>> localizations and realize that it could not possibly have been your
>>> own individual work, and question whether you have the authority to
>>> commit it. So rather than have a long dialog on the Derby alias, you
>>> can just follow the time-worn process.
>>>
>> Or perhaps a short dialogue on derby dev explaining exactly what Rick
>> did in his post to legal-discuss, that he wants to checkin updated
>> files "prepared by a translating team inside" his company and that
>> his employer authorizes him to contribute them under his icla. And
>> the URL pointing to this email thread.  :-)
>>
>> --I'm the first one to ask for software grants when I think they are
>> really needed. In this case, I really question it because the message
>> files go through a translation cycle on each release round. Requiring
>> a software grant for each iteration seems unnecessarily heavyweight.
>
> I agree.
>>
>> The feedback Roy (and Sam on the other thread I started) provided
>> makes me feel comfortable that the icla is sufficient for this
>> specific case.
>
> The IP clearance process is somewhat heavy for a known, repeated,
> expected contribution. My only concern here is that we don't spend
> more time discussing what to do than we would have spent doing it.
>
> Perhaps a wiki page in the Derby area documenting what you've just
> explained would do it. And when the expected contribution arrives, the
> JIRA with the patch would have a reference to the wiki page which in
> turn would refer to these discussions.

Sounds good. Let's move the discussion back to derby-dev.

thanks, all,

 -jean

Re: blanket software grant

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.