Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de> on 2004/01/22 11:08:01 UTC

Slide 2.0 release branch

Just created the Slide 2.0 release branch called

SLIDE_2_0_RELEASE_BRANCH

It will be valid for all 2.0 releases ranging from beta (2.0beta) over
release candidate (2.0rc) to final (2.0) and then also maintenance
(2.0.x) releases. It will cease to be valid as soon as there is a 2.1
release branch containing the new features.

*IMPORTANT*

For bugfixing and maintenance please check out this branch and make
associated changes to this branch *only*. Otherwise merging will be very
hard and error-prone.

New features and commits associated to them should still go into the
HEAD and will *never ever* be merged into the 2.0 release branch.

This means branching will only go in one direction:

SLIDE_2_0_RELEASE_BRANCH -> HEAD

To get things started I will volunteer to merge branches on a regular
basis for next one or two weeks.

As for the testsuite, I guess it will be OK to go on maintaining it in
the HEAD, right?

If I failed to make myself quite clear, please tell me so and ask!

Cheers :)

Oliver

Re: Slide 2.0 release branch

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On 22 Jan 2004, at 11:08, Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
>
>> Just created the Slide 2.0 release branch called
>>
>> SLIDE_2_0_RELEASE_BRANCH
>>
>> It will be valid for all 2.0 releases ranging from beta (2.0beta) over
>> release candidate (2.0rc) to final (2.0) and then also maintenance
>> (2.0.x) releases. It will cease to be valid as soon as there is a 2.1
>> release branch containing the new features.
>>
>> *IMPORTANT*
>>
>> For bugfixing and maintenance please check out this branch and make
>> associated changes to this branch *only*. Otherwise merging will be
>> very hard and error-prone.
>>
>> New features and commits associated to them should still go into the
>> HEAD and will *never ever* be merged into the 2.0 release branch.
>>
>> This means branching will only go in one direction:
>>
>> SLIDE_2_0_RELEASE_BRANCH -> HEAD
>>
>> To get things started I will volunteer to merge branches on a regular
>> basis for next one or two weeks.
>>
>> As for the testsuite, I guess it will be OK to go on maintaining it in
>> the HEAD, right?
>>
>> If I failed to make myself quite clear, please tell me so and ask!
>>
>> Cheers :)
>

> great, this means that HEAD is now ready to accept new donations.

That's right....

> If your donations don't touch the slide internals, feel free to commit
> them to
>
>     /proposal/*
>
> and if they require touching the core classes in a compatible way (say,
> just adding methods), make a proposal and ask for a vote.
>
> if you require touching the core classes in a back incompatible way,
> well, let's try to find a way to avoid this so that we can solidify a
> little.

Agreed :)

Oliver

Re: Slide 2.0 release branch