Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by praveenesh kumar <pr...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/23 13:50:57 UTC

Does hadoop installations need to be at same locations in cluster ?

When installing hadoop on slave machines, do we have to install hadoop
at same locations on each machine ?
Can we have hadoop installation at different location on different
machines at same cluster ?
If yes, what things we have to take care in that case

Thanks,
Praveenesh

Re: Does hadoop installations need to be at same locations in cluster ?

Posted by "J. Rottinghuis" <jr...@gmail.com>.
Agreed that different locations is not a good idea.
However, the question was, can it be done? Yes, with some hacking I suppose.
Do I recommend hacking? No.

But, if you cannot help yourself, then having data nodes in a different
locations per slave: create a hdfs-site.xml per node (enjoy).
For the hadoop installation itself it is a bit more tricky.
Look at bin/hadoop-deamons.sh. It finds the location where it is running
from and assumes that the clients are in the same location.
For further hackery and confusion, look at the HADOOP_SSH_OPTS environment
variable set in hadoop-env.sh. Note that passing HADOOP_CONF_DIR requires
support from the server. The ssh deamon may not accept client-side SendEnv
to avoid LD_* types of environment variables as this opens a security hole.
See settings in /etc/sshd_config on the slaves.
Alternatively you can have a symlink on the client in the same location as
the master pointing to your different location.
Finally you may be able to start hadoop deamons by hand.

Have the correct amount of fun!

Joep

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Ok,