Posted to dev@dubbo.apache.org by Albumen Kevin <al...@apache.org> on 2022/09/26 06:31:25 UTC

[Discuess] Dubbo support Roadmap

Hi All,

We currently maintain too many versions (2.7, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2...),
and the roadmap of the end of each version has not been determined.
So, I would like to start a discussing on the plan of Dubbo.

I suggest that we define the roadmap of new versions as follows:

*Feature for 6 months.* After that will not merge any feature and will make
the version stable.
*Bugfix for 12 months*. After that will not merge any bugfix except
security issues.
*Security maintain for 18 months.*

In order to make it more clearly, I will enumerate both from the
maintenance roadmap of each version and what we have to do at
each point in time.

Version Status

2.7
2022.9 ~ 2023.3 Security
2023.3 ~ EOL

3.0
2022.9 ~ 2023.3 Security
2023.3 ~ EOL

3.1
GA (General Availability) version will be released after 2022.9.
2022.9 ~ 2023.3 Bugfix
2022.9 ~ 2023.9 Security maintain
2023.9 ~ EOL

3.2
EA (Early Access) version will be released after 2022.9.
GA (General Availability) version will be released after 2023.3.
2022.9 ~ 2023.3 Feature
2022.9 ~ 2023.9 Bugfix
2022.9 ~ 2024.3 Security maintain
2024.3 ~ EOL

3.3
EA (Early Access) version will be released after 2023.2.
GA (General Availability) version will be released after 2023.9.
2023.2 ~ 2023.9 Feature
2023.2 ~ 2024.3 Bugfix
2023.2 ~ 2024.9 Security maintain
2024.9 ~ EOL

3.4
EA (Early Access) version will be released after 2023.9.
GA (General Availability) version will be released after 2024.3.
2023.9 ~ 2024.3 Feature
2023.9 ~ 2024.9 Bugfix
2023.9 ~ 2025.3 Security maintain
2025.3 ~ EOL

Timeline

2022.9 ~ 2023.3
3.0 Security maintain
3.1 GA Release, Bugfix
3.2 EA, Feature

2023.3 ~ 2023.9
3.0 EOL
3.1 Security
3.2 GA Release, Bugfix
3.3 EA, Feature

2023.9 ~ 2024.3
3.1 EOL
3.2 Security
3.3 GA Release, Bugfix
3.4 EA, Feature

Thanks,
Albumen Kevin

Re: [Discuess] Dubbo support Roadmap

Posted by YunKun Huang <ht...@gmail.com>.
Fair enough.

This is a website[1] which has some information about support roadmap
for some open source projects.
Most of projects provides 1-3 years security support, so compare that,
I believe current proposal is make sense.

[1]: https://endoflife.date/alpine

Posted by Albumen Kevin <jh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by YunKun Huang <ht...@gmail.com>.