Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Jörn Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-duisburg.de> on 2006/05/26 11:32:43 UTC

use eXist xml database with lenya

hi everyone!

i've been struggling for a while to use exist, an excellent xml database
engine (http://exist-db.org), with lenya. both use and ship with their
own version of cocoon, which is the problem.

ideally, i want to use the cocoon build from lenya, but i would like to
extend it so that it will support the xmldb:exist:// pseudo protocol and
  perhaps also the XMLDBTransformer. since both lenya and exist are very
actively developed and i want to track both developer trees closely,
this extension would have to happen inside the lenya/cocoon build process.

has anyone done this yet? or has anyone created their own cocoon blocks
with other 3rd party software?

any hints welcome.

jörn

--
"Open source takes the bullshit out of software."
	- Charles Ferguson on TechnologyReview.com

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier, EDV-Administrator
Institut für Politikwissenschaft

Re: use eXist xml database with lenya

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> hi everyone!
>

> i've been struggling for a while to use exist, an excellent xml database
> engine (http://exist-db.org), with lenya. both use and ship with their
> own version of cocoon, which is the problem.
>
> ideally, i want to use the cocoon build from lenya, but i would like to
> extend it so that it will support the xmldb:exist:// pseudo protocol and
>  perhaps also the XMLDBTransformer. since both lenya and exist are very
> actively developed and i want to track both developer trees closely,
> this extension would have to happen inside the lenya/cocoon build process.
>
> has anyone done this yet? or has anyone created their own cocoon blocks
> with other 3rd party software?

I have a little experience with blocks (once I started to implement
a prototype of a new Lenya build process which converts modules to
blocks and uses the Cocoon build process to resolve dependencies,
compile and deploy them. But I'd defer it to a later release because
IMO there are more pressing issues than this for 1.4).

To create a block, you basically need

- a gump file which describes the block and its dependencies
- a patch file (local.blocks.*.xconf) which you drop in $COCOON_HOME

Unfortunately I couldn't find much documentation, but with the help
of the Cocoon build files and the mailing list archives it is possible
to find out how it works.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann