Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Tod Olson <to...@uchicago.edu> on 2017/12/15 21:16:08 UTC

Debugging custom RequestHander: spinning up a core for debugging

Hi everyone,

I need to do some step-wise debugging on a custom RequestHandler. I'm trying to spin up a core in a Junit test, with the idea of running it inside of Eclipse for debugging. (If there's an easier way, I'd like to see a walk through!) Problem is the core fails to spin up with:

java.io.IOException: Break Iterator Rule Data Magic Number Incorrect, or unsupported data version

Here's the code, just trying to load (cribbed and adapted from https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45506381/how-to-debug-solr-plugin):

public class BrowseHandlerTest
{
    private static CoreContainer container;
    private static SolrCore core;

    private static final Logger logger = Logger.getGlobal();

    @BeforeClass
    public static void prepareClass() throws Exception
    {
        String solrHomeProp = "solr.solr.home";
        System.out.println(solrHomeProp + "= " + System.getProperty(solrHomeProp));
        // create the core container from the solr.solr.home system property
        container = new CoreContainer();
        container.load();
        core = container.getCore("biblio");
        logger.info<http://logger.info>("Solr core loaded!");
    }

    @AfterClass
    public static void cleanUpClass()
    {
        core.close();
        container.shutdown();
        logger.info<http://logger.info>("Solr core shut down!");
    }
}

The test, run through ant, fails as follows:

    [junit] solr.solr.home= /Users/tod/src/vufind/solr/vufind
    [junit] SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
    [junit] SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further details.
    [junit] SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticMDCBinder".
    [junit] SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation MDCAdapter implementation.
    [junit] SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#no_static_mdc_binder for further details.
    [junit] Tests run: 0, Failures: 0, Errors: 2, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 1.299 sec
    [junit]
    [junit] ------------- Standard Error -----------------
    [junit] SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
    [junit] SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
    [junit] SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further details.
    [junit] SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticMDCBinder".
    [junit] SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation MDCAdapter implementation.
    [junit] SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#no_static_mdc_binder for further details.
    [junit] ------------- ---------------- ---------------
    [junit] Testcase: org.vufind.solr.handler.tests.BrowseHandlerTest: Caused an ERROR
    [junit] SolrCore 'biblio' is not available due to init failure: JVM Error creating core [biblio]: null
    [junit] org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: SolrCore 'biblio' is not available due to init failure: JVM Error creating core [biblio]: null
    [junit]  at org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer.getCore(CoreContainer.java:1066)
    [junit]  at org.vufind.solr.handler.tests.BrowseHandlerTest.prepareClass(BrowseHandlerTest.java:45)
    [junit] Caused by: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: JVM Error creating core [biblio]: null
    [junit]  at org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer.create(CoreContainer.java:833)
    [junit]  at org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer.access$000(CoreContainer.java:87)
    [junit]  at org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer$1.call(CoreContainer.java:467)
    [junit]  at org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer$1.call(CoreContainer.java:458)
    [junit]  at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
    [junit]  at org.apache.solr.common.util.ExecutorUtil$MDCAwareThreadPoolExecutor$1.run(ExecutorUtil.java:231)
    [junit]  at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
    [junit]  at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
    [junit]  at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
    [junit] Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    [junit]  at org.apache.lucene.analysis.icu.segmentation.ICUTokenizerFactory.inform(ICUTokenizerFactory.java:107)
    [junit]  at org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader.inform(SolrResourceLoader.java:721)
    [junit]  at org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema.<init>(IndexSchema.java:160)
    [junit]  at org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchemaFactory.create(IndexSchemaFactory.java:56)
    [junit]  at org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchemaFactory.buildIndexSchema(IndexSchemaFactory.java:70)
    [junit]  at org.apache.solr.core.ConfigSetService.createIndexSchema(ConfigSetService.java:108)
    [junit]  at org.apache.solr.core.ConfigSetService.getConfig(ConfigSetService.java:79)
    [junit]  at org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer.create(CoreContainer.java:812)
    [junit] Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Break Iterator Rule Data Magic Number Incorrect, or unsupported data version.
    [junit]  at org.apache.lucene.analysis.icu.segmentation.DefaultICUTokenizerConfig.readBreakIterator(DefaultICUTokenizerConfig.java:125)
    [junit]  at org.apache.lucene.analysis.icu.segmentation.DefaultICUTokenizerConfig.<clinit>(DefaultICUTokenizerConfig.java:66)
    [junit] Caused by: java.io.IOException: Break Iterator Rule Data Magic Number Incorrect, or unsupported data version.
    [junit]  at com.ibm.icu.text.RBBIDataWrapper.get(RBBIDataWrapper.java:193)
    [junit]  at com.ibm.icu.text.RuleBasedBreakIterator.getInstanceFromCompiledRules(RuleBasedBreakIterator.java:57)
    [junit]  at org.apache.lucene.analysis.icu.segmentation.DefaultICUTokenizerConfig.readBreakIterator(DefaultICUTokenizerConfig.java:120)
    [junit]
    [junit]
    [junit] Testcase: org.vufind.solr.handler.tests.BrowseHandlerTest: Caused an ERROR
    [junit] null
    [junit] java.lang.NullPointerException
    [junit]  at org.vufind.solr.handler.tests.BrowseHandlerTest.cleanUpClass(BrowseHandlerTest.java:52)
    [junit]
    [junit]
    [junit] Test org.vufind.solr.handler.tests.BrowseHandlerTest FAILED

This is the directory structure:

.../solr/vufind/
                authority/
                       conf/
                       core.properties
                biblio/
                       conf/
                       core.properties
                solr.xml

The solr.solr.home property is set to the solr/vufind directory, and I need to load the biblio core. I don't get to dig into code very often, so my Java and IDE skills are a bit rusty.

Any advice is welcome, whether how to fix or an alternate approach.

Best,

-Tod

Tod Olson <to...@uchicago.edu>>
Systems Librarian
Interim Director for Integrated Library Systems
University of Chicago Library

Re: Debugging custom RequestHander: spinning up a core for debugging

Posted by Tod Olson <to...@uchicago.edu>.
Thanks, that pointed me in the right direction! The problem was an ancient ICU library in the distributed code.

-Tod

On Dec 15, 2017, at 5:15 PM, Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>> wrote:

My guess is this isn't a Solr issue at all; you are somehow using an old Java.

RBBIDataWrapper is from

com.ibm.icu.text;

I saw on a quick Google that this was cured by re-installing Eclipse,
but that was from 5 years ago.

You say your Java and IDE skills are a bit rusty, maybe you haven't
updated your Java JDK or Eclipse in a while? I don't know if Eclipse
somehow has its own Java (I haven't used Eclipse for quite a while).

I take it this runs outside Eclipse OK? (well, with problems otherwise
you wouldn't be stepping through it.....)

Best,
Erick

       logger.info<http://logger.info/><http://logger.info<http://logger.info/>>("Solr core loaded!");
   }