Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1996/05/28 23:15:29 UTC

Alias and ScriptAlias suggestion (fwd) ??? (fwd)

I think Cliff or Chuck forwarded this earlier. If so the submitter
obviously thinks that got ignored (true).

Just in case I'm mistaken, I send this again. I'll send an ack.

From: jwk@aplexus.jhuapl.edu (John W. Kulp)
Subject: Alias and ScriptAlias  suggestion (fwd) ???
To: apache-bugs@mail.apache.org
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 17:00:44 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: john.kulp@aplmail.jhuapl.edu

 I was hacking around srm.conf to get Alias and ScriptAlias more flexible
 ... (I'm supporting a couple of projects that use 1.1b2 httpd and I don't
 want to keep multi copies of srm.conf ) and notice that it wouldn't take
 relative paths to DocumentRoot,

I then could set DocumentRoot to whatever and do this in srm.conf:

 Alias /icons/                           db/httpd/icons/
 Alias /NWP/                             db/pubs/NWP/
 Alias /EQUIPMENT_DESCRIPTIONS/
 db/training/EQUIPMENT_DESCRIPTIONS/
 Alias /about/                           cdkdb/export/about/
 Alias /help/                            cdkdb/export/help/
 Alias /access/                          db/httpd/access/

 etc .... there is a bunch ...

 so, in mod_alias.c ... add_alias() ...

 /* XX r can NOT be relative to DocumentRoot here... compat bug. */
 so ... I changed
     new->real = r;
 and replaced it with this ...
     new->real = is_directory (r) ? r :
 server_root_relative(cmd->pool,r);

 it was quick and it does the trick ... but ... a couple of questions

 should i persue this ??

 if so ... shouldn't the call be document_root_relative() ???

 should I write document_root_relative() ???
-OR-
 should I use char *document_root (request_rec *); instead ??

 John
----- End of forwarded message from John W. Kulp -----

--
Rob Hartill (robh@imdb.com)