Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Peter <df...@gmx.net> on 2004/09/02 08:21:49 UTC

use already existing PDF for XSL:FO

Hello lists,

I know it's probably not the right list.

situation: on a client i have a C++ application that creates a pdf by list &
labels. the data from the client application ist transferd by webservice to
a server, the server make out of the object an xml file.
problem: Can I make a XSL:FO out of the PDF that already exists? otherwise I
have to recreate the layout, structure and design of the document.

thanks for your help

with kind regards
Peter Reiner

Re: use already existing PDF for XSL:FO

Posted by Sven Waibel <sv...@imbus.de>.
Hello Peter,

i don't think that's possible to get a xsl-fo file of a pdf.

Sven

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Peter wrote:

> Hello lists,
>
> I know it's probably not the right list.
>
> situation: on a client i have a C++ application that creates a pdf by list &
> labels. the data from the client application ist transferd by webservice to
> a server, the server make out of the object an xml file.
> problem: Can I make a XSL:FO out of the PDF that already exists? otherwise I
> have to recreate the layout, structure and design of the document.

This is a bit like asking if you can reverse engineer some assembly code into
C++. Except its probably more complicated. The tool would have to examine PDF
commands like rectangle (125, 60, 100, 100) and decide what XSL-FO element
could have created that result! And for this reason, there are currently no
tools available to do it.

Chris