Posted to dev@dubbo.apache.org by Jun Liu <li...@apache.org> on 2018/05/03 00:51:37 UTC

Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo (Incubating)

Hi,

We are preparing for the first apache incubating release for dubbo, turns out we lack of some nexus permissions, this blocks our process.

Could someone help us please? Here is the ticket asking permissions : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16451 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16451>

Best regards,
Jun

Re: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo (Incubating)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Was there discussion somewhere that decided to allow an Apache project to publish coordinates using com.alibaba?

The maven artefacts would not be an ASF release only the source release would be and published and named as such is my understanding. Maven artefacts are not not offical releases. The package name will change in a future release.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo (Incubating)

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
Was there discussion somewhere that decided to allow an Apache project
to publish coordinates using com.alibaba? From my perspective this is
highly unusual for an ASF project. From a central point of view, the
fact that com.alibaba is registered to publish from a completely
different repo (oss.sonatype.org) this creates potential for confusion
over the provenance of the artifacts.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Chris Lambertus <cm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Lambertus <cm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> So that means it is better to publish both the source and binary
> artifact to the Apache mirror system and vote them there.
> The only thing that block us is we can not publish to
> https://repository.apache.org (since our group id not starting with
> org.apache), then to nexus, we want to work around by skipping
> repository.apache.org and publishing to nexus directly.

That works for me and no issues re ASF policy that I can see. I assume this will change in the future once the package names have been changed.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo (Incubating)

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 12:12 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I don't think so, I think each Dubbo release should contain a maven artifact.
>
> Projects can also release convenience binary artefacts at the same time of a source release. It’s a good idea to vote on both at the same time. [1][2]
>
>> That will be great, so after the Apache release, we can publish the
>> artifact to nexus just as we used to do (before joining Apache).
>
> Just remember if not voted on then it’s not an official ASF release. It's OK if a 3rd party makes available a binary releases from an Apache source release just as long as they don’t claim it’s an official ASF release.

Thanks for the reminder, I think we should follow the ASF release
procedure as much as possible.

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo (Incubating)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo (Incubating)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Most of the dubbo users depend on the maven artifact, therefore I
> think a maven artifact is mandatory from Dubbo's point of view,
> although it is not mandatory according to ASF release policy.

Is it something you could possibly put off until your second ASF second release?

> Can we make a release to the Apache mirror system, and publish it
> separately to nexus?

Yes that’s fine.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo (Incubating)

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo (Incubating)

Posted by Jun Liu <li...@apache.org>.
I have tried by following this official guide[1], and this seems to be a nexus style guide. Can you provide some guidances for how to publish to the Apache mirrors for vote?

BTW, i just found this release staging repository: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/$podlingName <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/$podlingName> link [2], should we push our source release to this path? how to do that?

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html <http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html>
2. http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice>

Best regards,
Jun