Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/29 02:18:10 UTC

Propose release of assembly plugin

I just added a feature I care about, and there's a short list of others pending.

By the way, I had to go clear the fix versions from a slew of open
JIRAs on this project. Somehow, they all got marked '2.3'. Strangely,
JIRA will include open jiras in the release notes if they have the
appropriate fix version.

Please advise as to the next version #: 2.2.2 or 2.3?

To save you the trouble of checking JIRA, here's what would ship as a
release today. I think that 570 implies that some others complaining
of related items are also fixed.

Release Notes - Maven 2.x Assembly Plugin - Version 2.3

** Bug
    * [MASSEMBLY-175] - MANIFEST entries are not preserved during assemby
    * [MASSEMBLY-544] - DependencySet includes filter not working in 2.2
    * [MASSEMBLY-561] - Encoding is broken when filtering is enabled
    * [MASSEMBLY-570] - dependency includes filters don't match
wildcard (*) in middle of coordinate segment
    * [MASSEMBLY-581] - Allow formats in configuration to override descriptor

** Improvement
    * [MASSEMBLY-562] - [documentation] Add links to Maven Shade plugin

** Task
    * [MASSEMBLY-547] - The class CommandLineUtils doesn't have an
Apache license

Re: Propose release of assembly plugin

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On 29 November 2011 11:17, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> A couple of thoughts in response to Stephen:
>
> The convention seems pretty clear to send a 'yoo-hoo' before starting
> a release in case anyone is dying to add something. Since I had to do
> that anyway, I thought I might as well solicit input on the version
> number.

No worries, it's best practice to say that you want to run a release in say
24hr unless anyone has any blocking issues they think need to be fixed
first... but at the end of the day, if you have the energy to release right
now and you likely won't have the energy to make the release later, I say
just go ahead and run the release.

My point is lets not waste energy when we have it... calling vote-like
threads before you do something has the potential to waste your energy when
you have it, or the potential to miss a window where you could make the
release (i.e. your significant other or dependents suddenly need your
attention just after the vote-like has ended, and now you cannot deliver on
making the release)... so we should not be in the habit of wasting
energy... I tend to know that I will have a window of energy to do a
release tomorrow (say) in which case I ping the ML with a heads up... but
if I suddenly had a window of energy and felt the itch to make a release of
something, then I would say push the release, no delays ;-)

> I did get poked once about the sensibility of releasing on a short
> list, albeit from a visitor, but he is a very distinguished visitor,
> so that left me cautious.

Well at the end of the day, the release manager is in charge... and who is
the release manager? whoever (from the set of committers) has the energy to
make a release _now_.

> Off I go. In fact I need to run a component release first.

Good luck!

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.