Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/28 16:16:22 UTC

CloudStack Advanced networking doubt

Hi folks,
I was checking some information regarding ACS advanced networking
deployment mode, and I ran into this figure [1]. This made me wonder, what
would happen with the following scenario.

Let`s say I have a similar scenario as the one depicted in figure [1], a
set of pods with a set of clusters that have a set of hosts. Each host in a
pod is linked directly using a Layer-2 switch. Let’s assume there exist
network/aggregation layers that are configured properly and provide access
to VMs in the cloud using the public IP net. Let’s also assume that the
public IP net is 1.1.1.0/24; the management and storage networks are on
isolated networks and are properly set up (Assume also that we are using
the advanced networking mode).

Now, I create a guest network 2.2.2.0/24. When I deploy a user VM, ACS will
deploy a VR (let’s call x) with an IP (1.1.1.1) in the public net, and
other on the guest network (2.2.2.1). Then, this VR(x) will execute the
firewalling/forwarding for my newly created user VM.

Let’s now imagine that I keep deploying user VMs to a point in which the
POD gets full. The next VM I create ACS will have to deploy in other PODs
of the environment. Because this new user VM will be in a different POD,
the communication with other user VMs is not straightforward anymore (not a
matter of using the same VLAN and net). What will ACS do to link users VMs
that are on the same virtual network, but deployed in different PODs?

Will it deploy other VR(y) with an IP (let's say 1.1.1.2) on the new POD
and create a route between VR(x) and VR(y) using the public network, so
that the communication for VMs in network 2.2.2.0/24 is transparent?

http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-administration/en/4.8/_images/network-setup-zone.png

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: CloudStack Advanced networking doubt

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.
Sorry Dag, I probably did not express myself clearly. I knew that ACS had
nothing to do with it. I wanted only to check the underlying structure
requirements, so the scenario I described would work.

Thanks for your explanation, I now understood it ;)

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com>.

Posted by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Rafael,

I think you’re overcomplicating things a bit. As Simon said – all switches used in the same zone need to be configured to trunk the same VLAN range. If your zone uses VLANs 100-200 then all switches serving the PODs and clusters in that zone need to be able to trunk VLANs 100-200, such that you maintain traffic between VMs in the same isolated network. When UserA spins up a network and a VM, he e.g. gets allocated VLAN 101 – and it should not matter where in the zone his VMs end up – i.e. they are spread across PODs and clusters – the VM should always be able to connect to VLAN 101.

With regards to the nuts and bolts of this – yes you are working at Layer 2 on the switches, but the mechanism used to transfer traffic between them has nothing to do with CloudStack.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue

    --
    Rafael Weingärtner

Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: CloudStack Advanced networking doubt

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com>.
Rafael,

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Rafael,

    --
    Rafael Weingärtner

Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: CloudStack Advanced networking doubt

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.