Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2006/03/12 23:01:47 UTC

Top level project status

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/OneCommunityProposals

There is a pretty active core (primarily out of the commons crowd) that
want to remake Jarkarta in Commons's image (my perception).  Pretty
radical but they go as far as even combining mail lists.  I don't think
that would be healthy for us at all.  Regretfully I think we should
discuss the merits of promotion to top level project status.

I plan to -1 any such radical measures.  If you're not on
general@jakarta.apache.org list, then you may be like "Wha?  What is he
talking about".  I sugest you join and potentially ask for a recap.

Thoughts?

-Andy

PS. I may be very latent ATM as I'm writing this from Milan, Italy (I
live in Durham, NC)

Re: Top level project status

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Avik, I also hope you speak up on the general@ or PMC list, I know it
isn't your first instinct but speaking out risks accomplishing nothing
-- staying silent assures it.  Moreover, those of you who do cross
multiple projects on Jakarta should try and activate your fellow
committers to speak up.  Right now general@jakarta.apache.org is a
pretty low traffic list.  I know most folks hate to mix it up there and
I don't think you have to.  Just a short statement to
general@jakarta.apache.org "I also oppose these and similar proposals
because...." and leave it at that.

And think of how fun it would be if no user ever used the list because
it was "jakarta-user@jakarta.apache.org" -- you know what would happen!

-Andy

avik.sengupta@itellix.com wrote:

> I like status quo, but given the the 'core' as you call it is pretty
> active, the
> status may not be quo any longer... at which point, I think we must,
> again,
> regretably, ask for top level status.
>
> Regards
> -
> Avik
>

> Quoting "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>:
>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/OneCommunityProposals
>>
>> There is a pretty active core (primarily out of the commons crowd) that
>> want to remake Jarkarta in Commons's image (my perception).  Pretty
>> radical but they go as far as even combining mail lists.  I don't think
>> that would be healthy for us at all.  Regretfully I think we should
>> discuss the merits of promotion to top level project status.
>>
>> I plan to -1 any such radical measures.  If you're not on
>> general@jakarta.apache.org list, then you may be like "Wha?  What is he
>> talking about".  I sugest you join and potentially ask for a recap.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> -Andy
>>
>> PS. I may be very latent ATM as I'm writing this from Milan, Italy (I
>> live in Durham, NC)

Andrew C. Oliver
SuperLink Software, Inc.

Java to Excel using POI

Re: Top level project status

Posted by av...@itellix.com.

Re: Top level project status

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 3/12/06, Andrew C. Oliver <ac...@apache.org> wrote:
> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/OneCommunityProposals
>
> There is a pretty active core (primarily out of the commons crowd) that
> want to remake Jarkarta in Commons's image (my perception).  Pretty
> radical but they go as far as even combining mail lists.  I don't think
> that would be healthy for us at all.  Regretfully I think we should
> discuss the merits of promotion to top level project status.

Andy's got the wrong end of the stick by the way.

There is one person pushing to remake Jakarta in Commons's image, and
that is me. What I'm really trying to do is tear down the failed
umbrella and come up with something new to live under the name
Jakarta, rather than just ending up with a day when I'm the last
person in the building and I turn the light off. I've posted on the
subproject for the last 3->6 months.

The rest of what you see is the Jakarta community at work - not an active core.

My general view is that we are all part of the Jakarta community. You
are Jakarta committers - not POI committers. That is how a healthy
project views itself. We're always going to be umbrella-like, but we
can be umbrella-like with a 1-tier depth, not a 4-tier depth (Jakarta
Commons Collections Subcomponent) is our potential max-depth - failing
that it's 3-tier depth.

> I plan to -1 any such radical measures.  If you're not on
> general@jakarta.apache.org list, then you may be like "Wha?  What is he
> talking about".  I sugest you join and potentially ask for a recap.

Please do join in - general@jakarta is where the Jakarta community
discuss things, and you are Jakarta committers.

Andy says in a later email:

"I know most folks hate to mix it up there (general@jakarta) and I
don't think you have to".

This is the main problem we have. If everybody is of this view, then
we are all committers for our subprojects and not Jakarta committers.
In that case - what is the point of Jakarta existing?

Hen