Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net> on 2004/11/11 14:35:09 UTC

When will images get copied?

Forrest documentation says at
http://forrest.apache.org/docs/your-project.html#images:

> Images
>
> Images usually go in src/documentation/resources/images/ The default
> sitemap maps this directory to images/, so image tags will typically
> look like <figure src="images/project-logo.png" alt="Project Logo"/>

After a couple of confusing results, I finally did some systematic
testing on 0.7 and found the following to be true:

Image that is not references in parsed pages
source-directory                                  is copied?
src\documentation\resources\images                   No
src\documentation\content\xdocs\images               No
src\documentation\content\images                     Yes
Image that is references in parsed pages
source-directory                                  is copied?
src\documentation\resources\images                   No
src\documentation\content\xdocs\images               Yes
src\documentation\content\images                     Yes

I think this is really important to understand because the placesment
of logos in xdocs\images suggests that this a good place for other
icons and logos as well.

However when files are only referenced in stylesheets (that are not
parsed), they will not get copied unless they are put into
\content\images.

Now before I spend any more time on documenting this, I'd like to
know, if this is the way it should work and if there are other facts
that should be mentioned?

Thanks for your input,

--
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: When will images get copied?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Forrest documentation says at
> http://forrest.apache.org/docs/your-project.html#images:
>

>>Images
>>
>>Images usually go in src/documentation/resources/images/ The default
>>sitemap maps this directory to images/, so image tags will typically
>>look like <figure src="images/project-logo.png" alt="Project Logo"/>
>

> After a couple of confusing results, I finally did some systematic
> testing on 0.7 and found the following to be true:

> Image that is not references in parsed pages
> source-directory                                  is copied?
> src\documentation\resources\images                   No
> src\documentation\content\xdocs\images               No
> src\documentation\content\images                     Yes
> Image that is references in parsed pages
> source-directory                                  is copied?
> src\documentation\resources\images                   No
> src\documentation\content\xdocs\images               Yes
> src\documentation\content\images                     Yes
>
> I think this is really important to understand because the placesment
> of logos in xdocs\images suggests that this a good place for other
> icons and logos as well.
>
> However when files are only referenced in stylesheets (that are not
> parsed), they will not get copied unless they are put into
> \content\images.
>
> Now before I spend any more time on documenting this, I'd like to
> know, if this is the way it should work and if there are other facts
> that should be mentioned?

I suspect this is what is happening in
http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-341 (plugin resources not being
copied). In this bug resources such as javascripts are not being copied
across from plugins when doing a static build.

I've not looked into it in detail yet, but it can be seen in the
htmlArea plugin (not in SVN yet as I have to create a way of bundling
htmlArea in a way that is respectful to their license - easy to do since
it is BSD, but I can't just drop it in SVN).

Ross