Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> on 2015/03/18 12:04:42 UTC

Policeman Jenkins Harware upgrade successful

Hi,

I just wanted to inform you that I replaced the Policeman Jenkins server by new stock hardware in our data center yesterday. It is now like that:

HP ProLiant DL120 Gen9 Server
Intel Xeon E5-2620v3, 6 Cores (12 Hyperthreading)
32 GB DDR4-RAM ECC
2x 256 GB SSD RAID1 (SAMSUNG MZ7TE256HMHP-00000)

All Jenkins jobs are running again. I have not yet updated all Java versions, but for now all is working fine - only much faster after chaning tests.jvm and memory settings for the nodes (Windows and MacOSX, too). I just had some problems getting MacOSX VirtualBOX machine running again, because I had to fake another CPUID... (don't ask!). :-)

Uwe

The >4 year old Fujitsu server with 4 cores and 8 GiB RAM is now retired. It had its SSD replaced several times, because the tests seem to have scrubbed it :-)

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
eMail: uwe@thetaphi.de

Re: Policeman Jenkins Harware upgrade successful

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
+1 and thanks! I shudder to think how where we'd be if the local cop
hadn't been walking the beat all this time!

Erick

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

> Uwe: Chris is asking questions on the JIRA about how we want things set up -

I am working on that. Was a bit busy with Policeman Jenkins.

Uwe

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1, many thanks Uwe.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

I also upgraded the Oracle JDK versions on Policeman Jenkins. The current set is:

jdk1.7.0_76
jdk1.7.0_80-ea-b05
jdk1.8.0_40
jdk1.8.0_60-ea-b06
jdk1.9.0-ea-b54

Uwe

-----

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 3/18/2015 5:04 AM, Uwe Schindler wrote:
> I just wanted to inform you that I replaced the Policeman Jenkins server by new stock hardware in our data center yesterday. It is now like that:
>
> HP ProLiant DL120 Gen9 Server
> Intel Xeon E5-2620v3, 6 Cores (12 Hyperthreading)
> 32 GB DDR4-RAM ECC
> 2x 256 GB SSD RAID1 (SAMSUNG MZ7TE256HMHP-00000)

Have you found a RAID solution for SSD that supports TRIM from the
operating system?  I would love to consider SSD RAID for certain things,
but until they have end-to-end TRIM support, I don't see that as viable.

Thanks,
Shawn