Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Traiano Welcome <tr...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/24 14:38:26 UTC

CloudStack 4.5: "Add VMware Datacenter" ?

Hi List

I have a zone setup with a single XenServer cluster and pod. This has
been running stably for a number of months now.

I also have a VMware 5.5 datacenter deployed, and decided to add the
vmware datacenter to the zone, using the "Add VMware Datacenter"
option, which appears on the zone settings page under "Infrastructure"
panel.
This seems to happen without error, and the VMware DC appears to
associated with the Zone.

My assumption was that I would then be able to deploy VMs for this
zone onto either XenServer or VMware (a further assumption was that I
wouldn't need to do any further configuration to have this feature
active).

However, when I try to create a new instance, I don't see any options
for deploying a VM to VMware.

I don't seem to be able to find much documentation on _using_ this
feature in the CloudStack documentation, besides the documentation on
installing cloudstack for VMware.

Would anyone be able to explain what this feature is supposed to do,
and if there is any additional configuration that must be done to make
it active?

Many thanks in advance,
Traiano

Re: CloudStack 4.5: "Add VMware Datacenter" ?

Posted by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Traiano,

in addition to Tim¹s points, have you configured a new cluster / pod for
the VMware resources? Have a look at
http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/4.5/h
ypervisor/vsphere.html .
In particular make sure you understand the use of system IP addresses -
for VMware each VR requires an IP address in the management IP range,
compared to XenServer which uses link-local IP addresses.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue

On 26/10/2015, 05:16, "Timothy Lothering" <tl...@datacentrix.co.za>
wrote:

>Hi Traiano,
>
>I assume you have OS Templates for XenServer? Try creating a new template
>(or export/import the current ones) for the VMware platform. Then select
>the "VMware" based template when deploying a new instance.
>
>Kind Regards,
>
>Timothy Lothering
>Timothy Lothering
>Solutions Architect
>Managed Services
>
>T: +27877415535
>F: +27877415100
>C: +27824904099
>E: tlothering@datacentrix.co.za
>

>DISCLAIMER NOTICE:
>
>Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relating to the official
>business of Datacentrix Holdings Ltd. and its subsidiaries
>('Datacentrix') is proprietary to Datacentrix. It is confidential,
>legally privileged and protected by law. Datacentrix does not
>own and endorse any other content. Views and opinions are those of the
>sender unless clearly stated as being that of Datacentrix.
>The person addressed in the e-mail is the sole authorised recipient.
>Please notify the sender immediately if it has unintentionally
>reached you and do not read, disclose or use the content in any way.
>Datacentrix cannot assure that the integrity of this communication
>has been maintained nor that it is free of errors, virus, interception or
>interference.

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

RE: CloudStack 4.5: "Add VMware Datacenter" ?