Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Kristian Rink <ka...@zimmer428.net> on 2008/07/28 15:19:37 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: mod_proxy and disconnections

Hi Rainer, *;

and first off, thanks for being patient enough reading through all the long
message to the very end, as well as for your comment on that. :)

Rainer Sabelka schrieb:
[...]
> I've observerd similar problems with large POST requests which sometimes time
> out on the backend servers while the client is sending the request body (like
> you with mod_proxy/apache 2.2  on Ubuntu 8.04).

Yes I am seeing upload/POST related issues once in a while, as well (looking
at the Java apps, they end up being something like "upload of
multipart/form-data failed, stream ended unexpectedly"). Seems to depend
upon the size of POSTs indeed, and happens significantly less often than the
download-related issue.

> But the whole issue might actually not be caused by apache at all, but by a
> bug in the TCP implementation of the linux kernel 2.6.24. (See this thread:
> http://marc.info/?t=121518334200003&r=1&w=2)
> For me setting /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_frto to 0  helped to solve the problem
> for a coulple of users, but not for everyone.

Thanks for the pointer, I will dig into this and see where it gets me,
however this issue did also exist in our "old" reverse proxy environment
(ubuntu 6.06.1, apache 2.0) so I think it is at least not completely Linux
2.6.24 related...

Cheers & good luck on that as well.
Kristian