Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Pere Torrodellas <pt...@fihoca.com> on 2001/08/24 13:24:18 UTC

Turbine and VisualAge

Hello,

I've been trying to integrate the TDK 2.1 into VisualAge to take advantage of
its nice debugging environment, using parts of the information provided by

http://www7.software.ibm.com/vad.nsf/Data/Document2390?OpenDocument&p=1

This method allows to run Tomcat under VA without importing the Tomcat .jar
files into the VA repository, and it works (I can provide more details if anyone
is interested).

In my case, the method suggested in http://fire.idbsoft.com/tdk-va-howto.html
doesn't work, because classes are not found at appl runtime when imported into
VA.

Ok, Tomcat works, but the trouble starts when trying to integrate Turbine
webapps, because it seems that they can't be run by Tomcat under VA as simple
servlets can.

The only way i've been able to run them has been as "external" classes, loaded
dynamically by VA, by setting the webapps/newapp/web-inf/classes and /lib
directories in the VA project_resources directory exactly as they are in the
ordinary TDK settings.

Fortunately there is a way in VA to debug external classes (see the above
reference), provided you have the corresponding source. But I've been unable to
use it with Turbine: the breakpoints set in the source code do not stop the
execution. The breakpoints set as "break on method enter" do stop the execution,
but then nothing more can be done because it says the source is not available
(although it is when the breakpoints are set).

Has anyone actually suceeded in debugging Turbine apps under VisualAge? Can
these problems be caused by Turbine using its own special mechanisms when
requesting class loading to the underlaying VM?

Thanks for any suggestion that can help.

Pere

RE: Turbine and VisualAge

Posted by Scott McCrory <sc...@mccrory.com>.
> Thanks to an offline interchange with Filippos Slavik, I managed to
> have Turbine working under VisualAge. This is just for the record, in
> case it may help somebody else.

That does help - thanks for posting!  Wasn't there a TDK-VAJ FAQ being
added to the TDK distrib?  If so, these tips should be added.  I'll take a
crack at it if no one is already on it.
   Scott

RE: Turbine and VisualAge

Posted by Pere Torrodellas <pt...@fihoca.com>.
Thanks to an offline interchange with Filippos Slavik, I managed to have Turbine
working under VisualAge. This is just for the record, in case it may help
somebody else.

The trick was to replace the Tomcat 4.0 that comes with the Turbine TDK with the
"standalone" Tomcat 3.2.3 binary distribution. Adapting the information in

http://www7.software.ibm.com/vad.nsf/Data/Document2390?OpenDocument&p=1

to my particular needs (f.e. only the /conf subdirectory is really needed under
/WEB-INF), everything worked first time.

Don't know why it didn't work with the TDK Tomcat 4.0. Maybe some
incompatibility, or the TDK Tomcat configuration...

Pere Torrodellas

Re: Turbine and VisualAge

Posted by Filippos Slavik <fs...@forthnet.gr>.
At 12:37 ìì 27/8/2001 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi Filippos,
>This may not be very helpful, though when I initially started
>using velocity, I was able to debug it quite nicely
>under Jbuilder 4 on linux.
>Since moving to the TDK, I have never attempted to debug Turbine as
>it has such a nice logging facility in Log4J, so I sprinkly my code with
>Log.debug( ) statements, providing more than adequate insight.
>I use JBuilder 4 for building all my classes etc.

I won't dissagree with you.. Every programmer has it's own approach.. One
to fill his code with Log.debug statements and other to use breakpoints ;)

But note, that Turbine is an open source project and as with all open
source projects it somehow lacks of up-to-date documentation, therefore
time to time is *very* helpful to follow the execution path (with a good
debbuger) right inside Turbine's core to understand what is actually
happening.. For instance, I recall a situation where I couldn't use the
intake service correctly (the intake howto is out of date), but following
the execution path with my VAJ's debugging facilities just gave me the
answer (wrong rules xml specification) :)

Best Regards
Filippos Slavik

>Regards,
>
>Patrick.

Filippos Slavik
FORTHnet R&D, Heraklion, Greece
e-mail : fsla@forthnet.gr
phone : (+3) 081 391230

RE: Turbine and VisualAge

Posted by Filippos Slavik <fs...@forthnet.gr>.
At 10:51 ðì 27/8/2001 +0200, Pere Torrodellas wrote:
>Filippos,
>
>I think that what you did is the right way to PROGRAM Turbine appls with
>VisualAge, but can you actually run and debug them under VA? The more I
>investigate, the more I believe that the only way is the one I mentioned in my
>original append (i.e. as external classes in the /classes directory in
>project_resources). But then I ran into the debugger problem (maybe a VA
>malfunction?).
>Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm running and debugging Turbine based applications under VAJ
(breakpoints, code changes on the fly, etc..). What problem are you
expiriencing with VAJ's debugger ?

Regards
Filippos Slavik

RE: Turbine and VisualAge