Posted to dev@kibble.apache.org by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org> on 2018/09/11 10:23:52 UTC

Relative and Comparative Mood Analysis

Hi All

On the mood analysis screen  https://s.apache.org/YImU

I’ve noticed the toggle on the mood analysis so would like to know exactly what this means.

Also if you click the box to toggle between the two modes then it’s not clear from the screen when you are using ‘Relative’ mode and when you are using ‘Comparative’ mode.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: Relative and Comparative Mood Analysis

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>.
Thanks Daniel, that's a lot clearer now.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Daniel

Thanks for the response. I've included some comments inline.

On 2018/09/11 10:40:46, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 09/11/2018 12:23 PM, Sharan Foga wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > On the mood analysis screen  https://s.apache.org/YImU
> >
> > I’ve noticed the toggle on the mood analysis so would like to know exactly what this means.
> >
> > Also if you click the box to toggle between the two modes then it’s not clear from the screen when you are using ‘Relative’ mode and when you are using ‘Comparative’ mode.
>
> The text in the charts change when you tick the box, and should explain
> what it is.

Ah.. I see that now but am glad to hear the elaboration as it wasn't clear to me.

 If that's not clear enough, let me elaborate:

> Standard (unticked) mode

So does standard mode = relative mode?

shows the moods as an 'absolute' value
> unrelated to the average across lists. Moods are still relative to each
> other (in that the median is close to 100), but they only reflect the
> list(s) you have chosen to analyze.

Ok so to me this means that the relative mode shows the mood analysis say across one project if that is the filter being used. So with my Httpd example - in relative mode this gives me an indicator of the general mood profile for Httpd based on and in relation to the other moods that the Httpd project generates.

And the mood gauge in relative mode gives me an overall indication of the filtered project or view (e.g Httpd) based on the moods found in the sources for the filter. So the more positive the moods found, the higher the rating will be.

If my understanding is wrong then please correct me as I really need to get this as it is going to be part of my research :-)

> Relative mode (ticked)

Should this be Comparative mode?

uses the same values, but compares them to the
> overall moods found in *all* lists in the database.

So does this mean that you are comparing against all the sources for the organisation or if you have multiple organisations will it compare against all organisations?

From what you say, it sounds like comparative mode (if that is what it is) compares the mood profile against everything. So Kibbletest will compare Httpd's mood profile against all the other projects loaded into Kibbletest.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 09/11/2018 12:23 PM, Sharan Foga wrote:
> Hi All
>
> On the mood analysis screen  https://s.apache.org/YImU
>
> I’ve noticed the toggle on the mood analysis so would like to know exactly what this means.
>
> Also if you click the box to toggle between the two modes then it’s not clear from the screen when you are using ‘Relative’ mode and when you are using ‘Comparative’ mode.

The text in the charts change when you tick the box, and should explain
what it is. If that's not clear enough, let me elaborate:

Standard (unticked) mode shows the moods as an 'absolute' value
unrelated to the average across lists. Moods are still relative to each
other (in that the median is close to 100), but they only reflect the
list(s) you have chosen to analyze.

Relative mode (ticked) uses the same values, but compares them to the
overall moods found in *all* lists in the database. Thus, on the right