Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "USHAKOV, Sergey" <s....@chemitech.ru> on 2011/04/17 11:15:59 UTC

IMAP connection speed

Hi all,

I am running JAMES snapshot in test semi-production ("smart host") mode for
a while already, and my impression is that the speed of IMAP connection is
unusually slow. I takes seconds for the mail client to get a list of several
messages in a box. It takes seconds to get even a small message loaded. It
is quite common for mail client to freeze and then complain on timeout on
IMAP server. This happens even over LAN connection, without mentioning VPN.

I've got a hMailServer instance running historically on the same server
(using other TCP ports), and its IMAP behavior is quite different. It shows
good speed even over VPN.

What may be the reason? Am I the only person observing this issue? Are there
any hidden settings to be fine-tuned? What might be the right approach to
profiling and troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance,
Sergey

Re: IMAP connection speed

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Do you also feel slow on POP3?
Tks,
- Eric

Re: IMAP connection speed

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi,

running James as a Windows 64-bit service

Posted by "Stotz, Lisa" <ls...@harris.com>.

Does anyone have experience running James as a Windows service on a 64-bit machine?

Thanks in advance,
Lisa

Re: IMAP connection speed

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Sergey,

Outlook Express (and maybe other clients) can give issues for some
operation (move mail from folder,...).

The safer to start is to use e.g. thunderbrid.

Tks,
- Eric

Re: IMAP connection speed

Re: IMAP connection speed