Posted to commits@lucene.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2015/07/01 23:17:35 UTC

[Solr Wiki] Update of "FAQ" by HossMan

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Solr Wiki" for change notification.

The "FAQ" page has been changed by HossMan:
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/FAQ?action=diff&rev1=98&rev2=99

Comment:
mention cursor and result set exporter in FAQ about returning all results

  == How can I get ALL the matching documents back? ... How can I return an unlimited number of rows? ==
  This is impractical in most cases.  People typically only want to do this when they know they are dealing with an index whose size guarantees the result sets will be always be small enough that they can feasibly be transmitted in a manageable amount -- but if that's the case just specify what you consider a "manageable amount" as your `rows` param and get the best of both worlds (all the results when your assumption is right, and a sanity cap on the result size if it turns out your assumptions are wrong)

+ In cases where you need all the results for external processing, you can either use a cursor, or the export response writer...
+
+ * https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Pagination+of+Results
+ * https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Exporting+Result+Sets
+
+
  == Can I use Lucene to access the index generated by SOLR? ==
  Yes, although this is not recommended. Writing to the index is particularly tricky. However, if you do go down this route, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. Be careful that the analysis chain you use in Lucene matches the one used to index the data or you'll get surprising results. Also, be aware that if you open a searcher, you won't see changes that Solr makes to the index unless you reopen the underlying readers.