Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by "Dietrich, Alex" <ad...@ussignal.com.INVALID> on 2024/04/17 12:29:50 UTC

BGP EVPN VXLAN for KVM CloudStack

Hello CloudStack Community,

I am attempting to establish full Layer 3 connectivity between the KVM hosts in my CloudStack deployment. I have found a few resources to assist in the process, including the modifyvxlan.sh script necessary to establish the appropriate network bridge configuration for new VXLAN networks. I have been able to successfully establish underlay/overlay connectivity between top-of-rack and the hypervisors running FRR.

The issue I am running into is how to properly configure the cloudbr interfaces to properly support using Layer 3 uplinks, which by their nature are on different subnets. Is it not necessary to specify the physical interfaces in the bridge? As I understand the operation of a linux bridge, it would not be optimal to bridge two interfaces with different IP addresses.

In addition, is it feasible to also use VXLAN for the Public and Management traffic? If so, does anyone have any examples how they’ve leveraged that to configure the management IP addresses for the KVM hosts?

Does a single cloudbr with the various traffic labels assigned make sense for all traffic in the VXLAN use case?

Thanks,
Alex