Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ted To <fo...@theo.to> on 2007/10/02 06:34:07 UTC

Can't use spamassassin remotely

My mail client doesn't seem to be able to get to my spamassassin
server.  When I "telnet <sa-host> 783" from the client, I get:
	Trying <sa-host>...
I can telnet to localhost 783 from localhost but not if I telnet to the
domain name from localhost, it gives me the above error.  I have
shorewall turned off.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Can't use spamassassin remotely

Posted by Ted To <fo...@theo.to>.
Thank you all!  That did the trick.

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
Ah. Could be that or / too. :)

Not a lot of information to go on ...

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.

Posted by Duane Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.
On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 at 00:34 -0400, forums@theo.to confabulated:

> My mail client doesn't seem to be able to get to my spamassassin
> server.  When I "telnet <sa-host> 783" from the client, I get:
> 	Trying <sa-host>...
> 	telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
> I can telnet to localhost 783 from localhost but not if I telnet to the
> domain name from localhost, it gives me the above error.  I have
> shorewall turned off.

By default, spamd(1) only listens on localhost(127.0.0.1). Check your
spamd(1) startup script to ensure it is listening on an IP accessible
outside the localhost(127.0.0.1).

   man spamd
   -i [ipaddress], --listen-ip[=ipaddress], --ip-address[=ipaddress]
       Tells spamd to listen on the specified IP address (defaults to
       127.0.0.1).  If you specify no IP address after the switch, spamd
       will listen on all interfaces.  (This is equal to the address
       0.0.0.0).  You can also use a valid hostname which will make spamd
       listen on the first address that name resolves to.

------
   _|_
  (_| |