Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/04/14 18:19:41 UTC

[docs] rearranging docs and linking from website

Yesterday, I just did a little bit of work and took the docs from
modules/security and modules/regex and put in the trunk/docs directory
under /security and /regex, respectively.  Other than some minor changes
to reflect that they are for harmony, I made no changes.

I then added to the standard/site/docs directory a /externals/
directory, and then used svn:externals property to link across, and then
added links to our docs page.

So....

1) do not modify things in site/docs/externals - go do it in
enhanced/classlib/trunk/docs/<whatever>

2) What other docs can we add?

My goal here is to make whatever we have available to people, and
hopefully entice volunteers to start bringing it together into a
coherent form.  The fact that it isn't is ok - something is better than
nothing, but docs are going to be critical for this project, and I'm
hoping someone steps up and moves us to a good start...

geir

Re: [docs] rearranging docs and linking from website

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Yesterday, I just did a little bit of work and took the docs from
> modules/security and modules/regex and put in the trunk/docs directory
> under /security and /regex, respectively.  Other than some minor
> changes to reflect that they are for harmony, I made no changes.
>
> I then added to the standard/site/docs directory a /externals/
> directory, and then used svn:externals property to link across, and
> then added links to our docs page.
>
> So....
>
> 1) do not modify things in site/docs/externals - go do it in
> enhanced/classlib/trunk/docs/<whatever>

Hi Geir,

IMHO these files would "fit in" better if they were placed into, say,
site/docs/documentation/classlib/<regex|security> directories
alongside the other documentation that is linked from the same page [1].
I think that adding module subdirs into classlib/trunk/docs
containing static (not generated) docs alongside directories containing
Doxygen configuration and generated docs might cause
confusion. Is there a reason not to have these stored directly under site?

> 2) What other docs can we add?

Could the docs that are currently at classlib/trunk/doc/kernel_doc and
classlib/trunk/doc/vm_doc also be moved to, say,
site/docs/documentation/classlib/<kernel|natives>?
Perhaps then a link to the kernel docs could be added to [1]. The docs
under kernel_doc are currently out of date, since
String has been removed from kernel and some com.ibm packages have been
renamed. The patch I have attached to
HARMONY-332 will allow a set of new up-to-date docs to be generated for
kernel and native code, which could then
be used for the website.
There are currently two links (under "Architecture and guides") to files
in vm_doc at [2] which would need to be updated to point to the new
locations.

Regards,
Oliver

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/documentation/documentation.html
[2]
http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/index.html

> My goal here is to make whatever we have available to people, and
> hopefully entice volunteers to start bringing it together into a
> coherent form.  The fact that it isn't is ok - something is better
> than nothing, but docs are going to be critical for this project, and
> I'm hoping someone steps up and moves us to a good start...
>
> geir

Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited