Posted to dev@marmotta.apache.org by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> on 2014/03/10 11:00:37 UTC

Call for Mentors for GSoC 2014

Hi,

today the students application period officially starts. For us it's a
new experience, and we're getting some students (4-5) potentially
interested in implementing some of our ideas.

But AFAIK I'm the single one who has applied for mentoring this year.
And knowing my time constraints I couldn't afford to mentor more than
one student, this is clear for me. So this might be a limiting factor,
and it seems that are not the only project with:
http://markmail.org/message/h6ecg4brmxvnoquq

So, following Andy's call, I'd like to public call for potential mentors.

And remember that you do not need to be PMC/committer; if you don't have
commit rights we can find alternative (I think github could be an easy
one) for forking the project, work on the idea, and then migrate it
upstream when the work is in a suitable state. Andreas Kuckartz has
proposed MARMOTTA-460, so he could be a potential mentor if he would be
interested to, for example.

Thanks so much for your cooperation.

Cheers,

--
Sergio Fernández
Senior Researcher

Re: Call for Mentors for GSoC 2014

Posted by Sergio Fernández <se...@salzburgresearch.at>.
Hi Raffaele,

On 10/03/14 13:38, Raffaele Palmieri wrote:
>>  From my understanding, there are to way to understand how to "integrate
>> OpenRefine with Marmotta":
>>
>> 1. Allow to push data to Marmotta from OpenRefine, basically port what we
>> did in LMF a couple of years ago: http://goo.gl/awQh5z
>
>   I think that's the first step, because in the meantime Google Refine
> became Open Refine, so it is necessary re-check that mode of integration.
> Moreover, if I remember correctly, Google Refine expected that extensions
> are built with Ant, so a work about extension configuration needs to be
> done to eventually migrate to Maven.

The re-branding has not affected the core functionalities: besides some
package renaming, the old extension should work completely fine in the
latest versions. That's why I don see just that as a target project for
GSoC, unless you include something else, like MARMOTTA-202, read below.

Extensions can internally use Maven, but does not really affect the
runtime. Anyway for quite a long I've trying to convince the community
about such switch, but they look more worried about touching something
that works than the advantages. Not blocking anyway.

> 2. My original motivation for MARMOTTA-202 was to offer a headless
>> integration of the OpenRefine engines for transforming data to RDF.
>
>     What do you mean for headless integration? A similar work to GRefine RDF
> Extension?

Maybe I did not describe properly MARMOTTA-202... Well, in the end the
idea is to allow Marmotta to import CSV files together the script you
could generate from OpenRefine. That would allow you to import in batch
several files sharing share structure.

>> The second one was more relevant for me last year, because in the meantime
>> we (Salzburg Research) cooperate in some research activities (
>> http://www.fusepool.eu/p3) that have something similar in the pipeline,
>> most-likely open source.
>
>  It would be nice to see how you mean integration into the project Fusepool
> and work towards a common goal.

And I'll try, for sure, but GSoC does not really fit with the timing
there. But, as I said, we could experiment in GSoC and later converge.

>> Raffaele, could you be interested on mentoring it?
>
>    I could try, if we clarify all doubts about expected job, it would be
> easier.

At high level, MARMOTTA-202 could be summarized: "Import RDF data into
Marmotta from a set of CSV files with a shared structure taking a
template exported from OpenRefine, including the RDF mappings". Then is
clear some internal parts of OpenRefine would need to be used, but
further details would come during the proposal preparation and the
mentoring; right now I did not go further to know the actual features
and limitations of such idea.

Cheers,

Posted by Raffaele Palmieri <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sergio,

--
> Sergio Fernández
> Senior Researcher
> Knowledge and Media Technologies
> Salzburg Research Forschungsgesellschaft mbH
> Jakob-Haringer-Straße 5/3 | 5020 Salzburg, Austria
> T: +43 662 2288 318 | M: +43 660 2747 925
> sergio.fernandez@salzburgresearch.at
> http://www.salzburgresearch.at

Cheers,
Raffaele.

Re: Call for Mentors for GSoC 2014

Posted by Sergio Fernández <se...@salzburgresearch.at>.
Hi Raffaele,

On 10/03/14 11:23, Raffaele Palmieri wrote:
> another interesting feature would be the integration of Open Refine with
> Marmotta[1], it would be nice if it could be followed by a GSoC student.

 From my understanding, there are to way to understand how to "integrate

Posted by Raffaele Palmieri <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
another interesting feature would be the integration of Open Refine with
Marmotta[1], it would be nice if it could be followed by a GSoC student.
What do you think about that integration and the possibility of proposing
it in GSoC?
greetings,
Raffaele.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MARMOTTA-202

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <a....@ping.de>.
Rob Vesse:
> If there is a lack of mentors students are likely to propose other
> projects thus increasing their chances of getting selected and paid
> (assuming they meet the goals and sign offs for the project)

My suggestion is not that a small number of mentors is ok and that they
should mentor many students each. Google obviously would not accept that.

But it _might_ be ok for a GSoC project if a mentor is not spending the
10 hours per week (or whatever Google might have in mind) and that is
reflected in the project proposal (because it potentially results in
more work for the student). I think that this really depends on the
concrete circumstances.

Cheers,
Andreas

Re: Call for Mentors for GSoC 2014

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.
Comments inline:

On 10/03/2014 11:11, "Andreas Kuckartz" <a....@ping.de> wrote:

>Sergio Fernández:
>> And remember that you do not need to be PMC/committer;
>
>Correct.
>
>Last year there were students who submitted perfectly reasonable project
>ideas to another ASF top-level project and did not even get a single
>reply - which to me indicates that such a project likely is dead (I just
>looked, in the case I had in mind the project fortunately is still
>alive, but I wonder what had happened).
>
>While a mentor is required for a GSoC project a good student will not
>depend on a mentor to be able to work on a project but will join the
>community and do what is necessary. It probably is more difficult for a
>student to work without someone guiding him or her, but at least the
>*source code* is available to work with!

In principal yes, the downside is that you are less likely to get GSoC
students doing the projects because part of the motivator for the students
is the money.

If there is a lack of mentors students are likely to propose other
projects thus increasing their chances of getting selected and paid
(assuming they meet the goals and sign offs for the project)

Rob

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <a....@ping.de>.
Sergio Fernández: