Posted to user@ambari.apache.org by Andrew Robertson <an...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/14 01:20:09 UTC

Multiple CentOS versions in same stack?

Has anyone ever tried to run an Ambari cluster with hosts at different
centos versions (or some nodes with one OS like centos and other nodes
with something else?)

Any reason this wouldn't be advised?

I'm considering upgrading from centos 6 -> centos 7.  Given the
current centos 6 -> 7 upgrade path is "reinstall", this make take some
time to accomplish and I'd end up with a mix of both machine types in
the cluster during this time.

I don't see any reasons this would not work - but I also don't see
anything that explicitly states this is a tested/advised config
either.

Thanks!

Re: Multiple CentOS versions in same stack?

Posted by Andrew Robertson <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the feedback!

Our test cluster is Centos6 VM-based, and I may spin up a new Centos7
VM in that to see how well it behaves at some point.  Our primary
cluster is bare-metal, and spinning up a new cluster == doubling the
number of machines in the cluster == very expensive; so that's not
option for us.

With centos6 moving into a long-term update phase that isn't expected
to support some new hardware (as of q2 2016)[*] and later no new
hardware (as of q2 2017) there may be an increased need to support
this upgrade path as well.

Would it be worth opening a JIRA to request this support as an actual
feature so the various actions on the clusters gets tested?

[*] https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/#Life_Cycle_Dates
-- this is redhat, but centos6 follows the redhat6 lifecycle/patches

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Jeffrey Sposetti <je...@hortonworks.com>.
I¹ve heard people wanting to do mixed OS in the same OS family (like
centos X with centos YŠnot across families like centos X with SLES y). Not
sure how extensively it¹s been tested though.

But to do so, you have to be sure to register the Ambari Agents manually
(vs using SSH).

Posted by Greg Hill <gr...@RACKSPACE.COM>.