Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Duo Zhang <zh...@apache.org> on 2016/09/13 01:24:33 UTC

Consider adding the issue number in commit message

https://github.com/apache/hbase/commit/1cdc5acfd456688f106287c19ae9af62fd03a3af

I can not find the related issue of this commit...

Thanks.

Re: Consider adding the issue number in commit message

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Clearly documented:

http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#hbase.commit.msg.format

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 10:05 AM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Xi Yang <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Let me update the refguide with our agreement here on no forced-pushes to
> any branch. I thought it in the guide already but it is not.

There is this: http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#git.best.practices It
needs a tuneup?
St.Ack

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Xi Yang <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1
> If I don't put Jira issue number in commit message then I don't know
> whatelse I can put. Jira issue number already contain all the information
> of your commitment and it makes the commitment traceable .  So I suggest we
> don't need to say any other words except Jira issue number and the title.
>
> The whole commitment message should be "HBASE-<number> xxxxxxxxx"
>
> That will make our got history looks clear

You bring up an interesting item Xi Yang.

Commit messages that have just 'HBASE-XXXX <Subject>' are not enough IMO.
The patch for sure should start with this one-liner -- for all the reasons
given above -- but it should be followed by a succinct description of what
the patch does. Going to JIRAs that are often pages long w/ a back and
forth on how a fix should be done are a time-consuming parse and in the
end, may have little relation to what is actually committed. Better
all-around -- from forcing the contributor to gather their thoughts to make
a terse summary, to the downstreamer backporting trying to make an
assessment on whether a patch important or not -- that we do like any other
project of substance and take the time to do decent, descriptive commit
messages.

Let me update the refguide with our agreement here on no forced-pushes to
any branch. I thought it in the guide already but it is not.

On writing scripts to check the format of commits, we already have a very
fine one. See ./dev-support/submit-patch.py All should be using it, at
least all committers (contributors have the excuse that they don't know of
it). Not only does this script save the contributor time, because it does
git format-patch auto-adding the jira subject and id as well as
auto-posting review board, it makes the committers life easier too as they
can just git am the patch if all looks good (and it will includes, whole,
any commit message a dev might have written up too).

St.Ack

Posted by Xi Yang <al...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Dima Spivak <di...@apache.org>.
+1 to that, Enis.

-Dima

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Interesting.

Posted by Jerry He <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Big +1

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Consider adding the issue number in commit message

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
bq. the original commit is still there, so nothing is really fixed.

Though 3 commits didn't look good, the contributor's identity would be
retrievable when looking at git history.

Consider this:

$ git blame
hbase-rsgroup/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/rsgroup/RSGroupInfoManagerImpl.java
| grep 'se.classification.InterfaceAud'
552400e5 (tedyu              2016-09-12 12:16:26 -0700  60) import
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.classification.InterfaceAudience;

552400e5 would lead to:

HBASE-16491 A few org.apache.hadoop.hbase.rsgroup classes missing
@InterfaceAudience annotation (Umesh Agashe)

The downside with force push is that everyone who had the corresponding
branch checked out needs to re-check out.

This morning I moved a few pending patches out of old work space for master
branch (not to lose them when I do rm -rf in the future) and cloned master
branch again.

My two cents.

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
Please never force push to any non-feature branch. I thought we had
protections to stop force pushes on master and
have filed INFRA-12602 to get them in place.

To fix erroneous commit messages, please revert the offending commits
and then reapply them with a correct commit message.

You can see a recent example of this in master when Ted corrected
himself on missing the contributor for HBASE-16491.

--
busbey

Re: Consider adding the issue number in commit message

Author: anoopsamjohn <an...@gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Sep 13 11:43:26 2016 +0530

Author: chenheng <ch...@apache.org>
Date:   Tue Sep 13 10:07:45 2016 +0800