Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Odysci <od...@gmail.com> on 2020/07/28 20:39:02 UTC

Meow attacks

Folks,

I suspect one of our Zookeeper installations on AWS was subject to a Meow
attack (
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/07/more-than-1000-databases-have-been-nuked-by-mystery-meow-attack/
)

Basically, the configuration for one of our collections disappeared from
the Zookeeper tree (when looking at the Solr interface), and it left
several files ending in "-meow"
Before I realized it, I stopped and restarted the ZK and Solr machines (as
part of ubuntu updates), and when ZK didn't find the configuration for a
collection, it deleted the collection from Solr. At least that's what I
suspect happened.

Fortunately it affected a very small index and we had backups. But it is
very worrisome.
Has anyone had any problems with this?
Is there any type of log that I can check to sort out how this happened?
The ZK log complained that the configs for the collection were not there,
but that's about it.

and, is there a better way to protect against such attacks?
Thanks

Reinaldo

Re: Meow attacks

Posted by matthew sporleder <ms...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 4:39 PM Odysci <od...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I suspect one of our Zookeeper installations on AWS was subject to a Meow
> attack (
> https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/07/more-than-1000-databases-have-been-nuked-by-mystery-meow-attack/
> )
>
> Basically, the configuration for one of our collections disappeared from
> the Zookeeper tree (when looking at the Solr interface), and it left
> several files ending in "-meow"
> Before I realized it, I stopped and restarted the ZK and Solr machines (as
> part of ubuntu updates), and when ZK didn't find the configuration for a
> collection, it deleted the collection from Solr. At least that's what I
> suspect happened.
>
> Fortunately it affected a very small index and we had backups. But it is
> very worrisome.
> Has anyone had any problems with this?
> Is there any type of log that I can check to sort out how this happened?
> The ZK log complained that the configs for the collection were not there,
> but that's about it.
>
> and, is there a better way to protect against such attacks?
> Thanks
>
> Reinaldo

Use VPC and private networks!

ask in ##aws on freenode if you are really lost

Re: Meow attacks

Posted by Odysci <od...@gmail.com>.
Folks,
thanks for the replies. We do use VPCs in AWS and the ZK ports are only
open to the solr machines (also in the same VPC). We're using Solr 8.3 and
ZK 3.5.6
We will investigate the Kerberos authentication.
thanks

Reinaldo

Re: Meow attacks

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Meow attacks

Posted by David Hastings <ha...@gmail.com>.
so, your zookeeper/solr servers have public facing addresses/ports?