Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Blomstrom <Ge...@geobop.com> on 2003/07/21 03:56:22 UTC

[users@httpd] Changing to Localhost

If a webpage previews at file:///C:/sites/geosymbols/index.htm and I want
to change it to a localhost address for Apache, what would I replace it with?

localhost:///C:/sites/geosymbols/index.htm ?
http://localhost/C:/sites/geosymbols/index.htm ?

I've tried several variations, but nothing works. I'm trying to change my
Site Definitions in Dreamweaver but am further confused by tutorials at
http://www.dmxzone.com/ShowDetail.asp?NewsId=3652 and
http://www.dreamweavermxsupport.com/index.php?type=article&id=67&page=5&pid=39

I can't find anything resembling their graphics on my PC or Dreamweaver.
Someone suggested I might have lost the Personal Web Server when I
uninstalled IIS.

Re: [users@httpd] Changing to Localhost

Posted by Joseph A Nagy Jr <jo...@charter.net>.
On Sunday 20 July 2003 20:56, David Blomstrom wrote this in an attempt
to be witty and informative:
> If a webpage previews at file:///C:/sites/geosymbols/index.htm and I
> want to change it to a localhost address for Apache, what would I
> replace it with?
>
> localhost:///C:/sites/geosymbols/index.htm ?
> http://localhost/C:/sites/geosymbols/index.htm ?
<snip>

127.0.0.x (x = 1 thru 255)
the -4 Shield of No Spell Checker
http://joseph-a-nagy-jr.homelinux.org http://mc-luug.homelinux.org/

RE: [users@httpd] Changing to Localhost

Posted by David Blomstrom <Ge...@geobop.com>.
Jeff Cohen: "That should stop the web on port 80 from running at least.
Now, you mentioned something about the SMTP service, do you use it as your
SMTP server or you don't know why it's there?"

I don' t know anything about SMTP servers; I just recognize the term in
association with e-mail, but removing it didn't affect my e-mail (Eudora)
at all.

"If you do not use it, I would suggest removing IIS all at once, to do that
go to Control Panel-> Add\Remove Programs-> Add\Remove Windows Components->
uncheck the checkbox where IIS is, not only the web, ALL OF IT, because its
stincks! (And I'm the M$ Certified :=) )"

Ha! What part of Microsoft doesn't stink? I had all kinds of problems with
Outlook Express but was told I couldn't remove it. So when I figured out
how to remove IIS today I was elated to discover that there's a jettison
button for Outlook Express, too.

Matt Brei wrote, "If I understand your question correctly....
Set your DocumentRoot to C:/sites/. Enter your site name, Local Root Folder
(C:\sites\geosymbols) and your image folder (C:\sites\geosymbols\images) in
the Dreamweaver Site Definition. Then browse to http://localhost/geosymbols"

I'm not sure I follow that. I've never seen any mention of image folders in
Dreamweaver's Site Definitions. But then, I noticed that my Site
Definitions don't look like the Site Definitions listed on some tutorials.

Joseph Nagy wrote, "That's not what he's asking. He wants a localhost
address he can use
from his browser (e.g. localhost.localdomain). 127.0.0.1 works perfect in
this regard."

I entered http://127.0.0.1/geosymbols/ under "What URL would you use to
browse to the root of your site?" When I preview a page, I get a blank page
at http://127.0.0.1/geosymbols/TMPttpwict2n.htm (or a blank page at
http://127.0.0.1/geosymbols/index.htm)

Jeff Cohen wrote, "That will allow you to go to http://localhost/sites/ (if
apache is running
on port 80) otherwise, use: http://localhost:8080/sites/ BTW, I saw in your
config that you use Port 8080, this directive will be removed soon, you
better use: Listen 8080 or Listen 80, or any other port
that you desire."

I think that was an earlier post; I appeared to have two directories from
two Apache installs. I uninstalled Apache 1.3 and Apache 2.0, deleted the
residual folders, then reinstalled Apache 2.0. I checked the configuration,
and it lists "Listen 8080."

But this may be the key to my problems: When I go into Dreamweaver's Site
Definitions and click "Test URL" - regardless of what localhost address
I've typed in - I get this message:

"Dreamweaver cannot use the prefix you entered to display live data."

That sounds awfully odd to me.

So the score is 2-1; I can't preview pages with Dreamweaver/Apache yet, but
I got rid of IIS and Outlook Express.

Re: [users@httpd] Changing to Localhost

Posted by Joseph A Nagy Jr <jo...@charter.net>.
On Sunday 20 July 2003 21:17, Jeff Cohen wrote this in an attempt to be
witty and informative:
> Add the following line to make that c:\sites\working:
>
> Alias /sites c:/sites
>
> All the best,
> Jeff Cohen
> Support@GEJ-IT.com