Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by mdean77 <md...@comcast.net> on 2004/10/14 19:36:02 UTC

Advantage of local svn versus client

Is there a fundamental advantage of using Apache or svnserve over
simply using svn with a local repository?  I know the potential
advantage of the repository being on a different machine, but if I am a
single user, using a single machine, and just want version control,
should I still be looking beyond the pure local file:/// accessed
repository?

Re: Advantage of local svn versus client

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 14:36, mdean77 wrote:
> Is there a fundamental advantage of using Apache or svnserve over
> simply using svn with a local repository?  I know the potential
> advantage of the repository being on a different machine, but if I am a
> single user, using a single machine, and just want version control,
> should I still be looking beyond the pure local file:/// accessed
> repository?

Probably not.  I keep my home directory in Subversion, and since I'm the
sole user, I keep the repository on my main workstation and access it
using file:/// from there.  I access it from remote machines using
svn+ssh:///.

It's simple, sweet, and does the job for me, however, for repositories
that I share with others, I've got an apache setup on a server on the
net and I give access to specific directories using mod_authz_svn so
that I don't have to give folks ssh access to the server.

-Fitz