Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Stevo Slavić <ss...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/26 17:12:34 UTC

Apache parent pom

Hello Maven users,

Apache parent pom, like one for version 7 which is being voted on these
days, contains apache.snapshots repository declaration. Why is that
apache.snapshots repository definition needed? IMO it is in contradiction
with rules for deploying artifacts on central repository, and it makes
builds with dependencies report last longer than what's necessary.

Regards,
Stevo.

Re: Apache parent pom

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
this definition is for -Snapshot dependencies only. since artifacts
deployed to central cannot have -snapshot dependencies, then the build
should not be affected by the -snapshot only repository. the rules for
central state that you cannot reference any repositories with the
exception of -snapshot only repositories.

fair enough if it is slowing down the build, but the issue arrises
durind development. you may have multiple projects advanced to the
next -snapshot version (and you are planning on releasing them all in
a chain) if we don't reference the snapshot only repo, then you would
have to install locally the set of artifacts.  I might be working on
the latest compiler plugin, somebody else is publishing snapshots of
surefire without the snapshot only repo I would have to build surefire
myself to test the interop between the two

Sent from my [rhymes with tryPod] ;-)