Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by waimun <de...@waimun.net> on 2002/12/30 16:25:27 UTC

running tomcat as a non-root user?

Hi,

Has anybody tried running tomcat as a non-root user in Linux? If so, how do you proceed (ie. making script setuid doesn't work for me). Pls advice.

Thanks alot!

Re: running tomcat as a non-root user?

Posted by Jerry <je...@katzenjammer.us>.
Waimun:

I run Tomcat as non-root.

Apache has to be run as root if you use the default port 80, but Tomcat
has no such requirement.

 If you installed Tomcat as root, use chown to change owner for all
files and subdirectores of your tomcat installation, then you should be
able to run it as the user that owns the installation.

Or reinstall into a non-root area.

Jerry

Posted by Mike Millson <mg...@atsga.com>.
I have a howto document in pdf and sxw (Open Office) format that may be of
help.

http://www.atsga.com/docs/

Mike

Has anybody tried running tomcat as a non-root user in Linux? If so, how do
you proceed (ie. making script setuid doesn't work for me). Pls advice.

Thanks alot!

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>