Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Simon Reye <sr...@indauto.com.au> on 2001/04/03 07:33:51 UTC

Memory Leaks???

Xerces Gurus,

I've finally managed to build a debug version of the 28/3/2001 code snapshot
in BCB5.  To my horror when I run BoundsChecker or any other memory leak
snooper on the dll I get quite a large number of leaks.  In my specific case
each parse() costs me 20k of memory.  I'm writing a service that *should*
run constantly without fault, theoretically forever.  If with each parse()
attempt I lose another 20k of memory I don't think this can be guaranteed.

I've not been involved in the developing Xerces at all and have only started
using it in the last month so I'm a bit wary of jumping into the code and
making wholesale changes to try and fix the leaks.  Perhaps those that
understand the code would be more suited to do that.  If I had the time I
would read all the documentation but my project is already one month late.

>From what I can tell it looks as if reference counted hash table seems to be
the culprit although from looking at the code I could not see exactly why.
Perhaps it may be my compiler but BoundsChecker thinks that any newBucket
created in the put() function of the RefHashTableOf leaks memory.  It looks
to me as if removeAll() should clean up all the memory.

Can anyone help?

Simon