Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Marco Mistroni <mm...@waersystems.com> on 2004/03/02 17:18:30 UTC

calculating sum inside logic:iterate

Hi all,
	I have a colletion of items that have a method called price.
I was wandering if I could calculate the total of all prices via struts
Tags rather than using java code...

Anyone has any ideas?

Thanx in advance and regards
	marco

Re: calculating sum inside logic:iterate

Posted by Mark Lowe <ma...@talk21.com>.
Depends how you've done things.

If your items are nested in a form (indexed/mapped proerties) you could
have a total that is calculated there. Thus no need to do it in an
action or a jsp.

Posted by Mark Lowe <ma...@talk21.com>.
I see what you're saying. But at the same time, if you wanted to
develop a shopping cart that you could plug onto any model. Then IMO
calculating in a web tier bean say an action form isn't the most evil
thing in the world.

I agree entirely that the total should be calculated in the model,
before say saving to the db. But I think there's a case for doing this
in the web-tier.

Posted by Nick Wesselman <nw...@halleonard.com>.