Posted to ivy-dev@incubator.apache.org by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/10 09:31:46 UTC

Jira usage guidelines?

Shouldn't we define guidelines on how/when to use jira.

More particularly:  Should we use jira to discuss some new features, or when
we want to propose a new feature but we don't have a precise idea of how
this feature should look like.

Or alternatively, should we always use the mailing list to discuss first
(dev or user?), and only enter an issue when a consensus is reached?

WDYT?

Gilles

Re: Jira usage guidelines?

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 5/10/07, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Shouldn't we define guidelines on how/when to use jira.
>
> More particularly:  Should we use jira to discuss some new features, or
> when
> we want to propose a new feature but we don't have a precise idea of how
> this feature should look like.
>
> Or alternatively, should we always use the mailing list to discuss first
> (dev or user?), and only enter an issue when a consensus is reached?
>
> WDYT?

Indeed, guidelines would help. But should we open a JIRA issue to discuss
guidelines, or use the mailing list :-) Never mind, I'm tired :-)

My feeling about that is that JIRA has the advantage of tracking structured
information, whlie the mailing list is much less structured. OTOH Jira is
less easy to use than the mailing list (especially since our JIRA site is
pretty slow).

So I have no strong opinion, but I think the mailing list is better suited
for active discussions, when things are still requiring a lot of discussion,
and JIRA is better for bugs and new features for which the idea is already
pretty well defined.

Anyway, whatever the guideline we choose, I think we need some kind of
flexibility (did someone already noticed I'm in favor of flexiblity :-))

Xavier

Gilles

Manage your dependencies with Ivy!
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/

Re: Jira usage guidelines?

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 5/11/07, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 May 2007, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Shouldn't we define guidelines on how/when to use jira.
> >
> > More particularly: Should we use jira to discuss some new features,
> > or when we want to propose a new feature but we don't have a precise
> > idea of how this feature should look like.
>
> Each project is free to create their own guidelines for this, as long
> as in the end all discussion is archived and decisions are made on a
> mailing list.
>
> Most ASF people prefer email over websites, that's why we have mailing
> lists instead of some kind of forum.  I for one prefer to have
> discussions land in my mailbox instead of having to actively look for
> them in a browser,

I follow the jira "discussions" from my mail box too, by subscribing to the
ivy-commit list.

and I prefer to use the mail client to participate
> in them as well.

Sure it's much easier.

> Or alternatively, should we always use the mailing list to discuss
> > first (dev or user?), and only enter an issue when a consensus is
> > reached?
>
> Would be my preference, but it is your (as in the Ivy's community's)
> decision how to use JIRA - as long as you make sure you summarize the
> discussion to the list and make decisions here.

I agree for the decisions, but do we have to summarize the discussion to the
list since it's already recorded on the ivy-commit list?

Xavier

Stefan

Re: Jira usage guidelines?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 10 May 2007, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Shouldn't we define guidelines on how/when to use jira.
>
> More particularly: Should we use jira to discuss some new features,
> or when we want to propose a new feature but we don't have a precise
> idea of how this feature should look like.

Each project is free to create their own guidelines for this, as long
as in the end all discussion is archived and decisions are made on a
mailing list.

Most ASF people prefer email over websites, that's why we have mailing
lists instead of some kind of forum.  I for one prefer to have
discussions land in my mailbox instead of having to actively look for
them in a browser, and I prefer to use the mail client to participate
in them as well.