Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2014/07/11 08:50:01 UTC

Next release

I would like to do the release for Log4j 2.0 this weekend. Are there any objections?

Ralph

Re: Next release

Posted by Bruce Brouwer <br...@gmail.com>.
I know I haven't had time to spend on this project lately, but I never
finished off LOG4J2-609 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-609>.
If you're itching to release this weekend, then I won't be able to get this
done. The solution I'm presenting is a little bit invasive in the "API",
but I think the current solution has some real problems. The details are in
the JIRA. I only bring it up in case you think this area of the API should
not be allowed to change after 2.0. It is kind of off in a corner where
most people won't go, so maybe it will be acceptable to fix for a 2.1
release. Where it stands right now, I don't have the tests working, which I
now thing is showing a problem with something in my solution.

What are your thoughts?

Other than that, I would really like to see 2.0 released.

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 8:47 PM, Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, July 11, 2014, Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No objection at all!
>>
>> I would like to add the tool to generate Custom/Extended Loggers, and do
>> a doc fix for LOG4J2-631.
>
> Done with these changes.
>

>> Also, the site now has an empty section "Custom Plugins" under manual >
>> Extending Log4j. Shall we remove that before the release?
>
> I haven't had time to do this. I may not have time today either. Perhaps
> not that urgent anyway...
>
> One more thing (gentle reminder): let's not forget to change to the new
> logo. :-)
>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> > On 2014/07/11, at 15:50, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I would like to do the release for Log4j 2.0 this weekend. Are there
>> any objections?
>> >
>> > Ralph

Bruce Brouwer
about.me/bruce.brouwer
[image: Bruce Brouwer on about.me]
  <http://about.me/bruce.brouwer>

Re: Next release

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
On Sunday, July 13, 2014, Bruno Mahé <bm...@tango.me> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> We have been testing Apache Log4j 2.0rc2 at Tango for a few weeks and have
> been very impressed.
> We are in the process of migrating our services to Apache Log 2.0rc2 so
> they can be ready for roll out when 2.0 comes out.
>
> The only issue we had so far was about configuring async logger for all
> loggers. Having to pass system properties to Apache Tomcat in order to
> activate and configure async loggers is not convenient.

This is on the todo list. Keep an eye on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-321

> There is also a more detailed email/blog post with some numbers we
> collected being worked on.

Looking forward to the blog!

Re: Next release

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Bruce,

My opinion is that in production in a web container the StatusLogger should ALWAYS be routed to stdout. The volume of output should normally be small if you are logging at Error.  Second, in the ideal case you should only have a single log level, regardless of how many web applications there are.  To me, anything else is just confusing.  What you are really trying to do with the StatusLogger is be informed about any errors that may happen in the logging system.  If you are only logging to a console and everything is uniformly set to Error then I don’t ever see a problem arising.

The trouble comes into play when you try to use StatusLogger for something it really wasn’t intended for. For example, I would only recommend StatusLogger be routed to a file if Debug is enabled and that should only ever happen outside of a production environment.

I guess what I am saying is that I don’t think we should go overboard trying to make StatusLogger into something more than what it is - a way to debug errors in the logging configuration or issues with Appenders.

I am fine with adding javadoc and/or annotations to StatusLogger and its friends to clearly mark them as for internal use, but I don’t think they are critical enough to hold up on releasing 2.0.

Ralph

Re: Next release

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Also, StatusLogger is final. Anyone who tries to implement a Logger based on that is going to have a hard time. StatusLogger is also intentionally primitive - you can’t do much filtering or routing to appenders, etc - so anyone who tries to use it for something is probably going to wonder why it isn’t working as they expect. Since the only documentation on it tells you have to get output from Log4j components I think the risk that someone is going to get confused is very low.

Ralph

Re: Next release

Posted by Bruce Brouwer <br...@gmail.com>.
Should double check better. Should not be a real performance issue

Re: Next release

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release

Posted by Bruce Brouwer <br...@gmail.com>.
Ok, the only test that didn't pass was the one testing for StatusLogger
writing to a file. I removed that test on the branch. If you review that
and think it worthy to go into the trunk, I'm pretty much on board with a
2.0 release (unless you think a short lived rc3 is in order).

Re: Next release

Posted by Bruce Brouwer <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Next release

Re: Next release

Posted by Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org>.
If it can't be turned off that doesn't sound right.  You should be able to get to the listener and change its level so that nothing is logged.  I guess you are meaning the listener can't be removed?  For some reason I thought it could.

Ralph

Re: Next release

Posted by Bruce Brouwer <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release