Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/24 12:47:48 UTC

[classlib][TestNG] How to handle bootclasspath tests

Hello All,

I'm investigating the possibilities of migrating Harmony tests from
JUnit/Directory layout to TestNG while reviewing all the related thread
in mailing list. And I will try to answer the open issues. To make
things simple, I will post the issues one by one. ;-)

Question: How to handle bootclasspath tests?

IMHO, I'm not sure whether it is a good idea to use TestNG groups to
differentiate the "bootclasspath" tests and "classpath" tests.

If we put "bootclasspath" and "classpath" tests in the same directory,
and use TestNG groups to differentiate them. When we want to run the
"bootclasspath" tests, we have to put all tests in bootclasspath
including the "classpath" tests. I don't think it's a good approach. And
I cannot find any ways to compile the java sources from one directory
into several different directories (ANT or Eclipse). So I suggest we put
bootclasspath tests and classpath tests into different directories.

But if we think putting all tests into bootclasspath is not a problem,
we may have a workaround: running bootclasspath and classpath tests in
separate tasks. I mean:1)  Running bootclasspath  tests with all tests
in bootclasspath 2) running all classpath tests with all tests in classpath

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is sample of how to launch TestNG in ANT:

        <testng outputDir="${testng.report.dir}"
                sourcedir="${test.src.dir}"
                haltOnfailure="true"
                verbose="3"
                jvm="${HarmonyVM}/bin/java"

            <bootclasspath>
                <pathelement path="../bin/tests.boot" />
            </bootclasspath>

            <classpath>
                <pathelement path="../bin/tests" />
            </classpath>
            <xmlfileset dir="." includes="suite.xml" />
        </testng>

Thanks for reading this far. ;-)

--
Richard Liang
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: [classlib][TestNG] How to handle bootclasspath tests

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.
On 8/24/06, Richard Liang wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm investigating the possibilities of migrating Harmony tests from
> JUnit/Directory layout to TestNG while reviewing all the related thread
> in mailing list. And I will try to answer the open issues. To make
> things simple, I will post the issues one by one. ;-)
>
> Question: How to handle bootclasspath tests?
>
> IMHO, I'm not sure whether it is a good idea to use TestNG groups to
> differentiate the "bootclasspath" tests and "classpath" tests.
>
> If we put "bootclasspath" and "classpath" tests in the same directory,
> and use TestNG groups to differentiate them. When we want to run the
> "bootclasspath" tests, we have to put all tests in bootclasspath
> including the "classpath" tests. I don't think it's a good approach. And
> I cannot find any ways to compile the java sources from one directory
> into several different directories (ANT or Eclipse). So I suggest we put
> bootclasspath tests and classpath tests into different directories.

Yes, I agree.

This is a good example for mixed approach: directory layout + TestNG
annotations.

Thanks,
Stepan.

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.

Mark Hindess wrote:
> On 24 August 2006 at 13:58, Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Richard Liang wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I'm investigating the possibilities of migrating Harmony tests from
>>> JUnit/Directory layout to TestNG while reviewing all the related
>>> thread in mailing list. And I will try to answer the open issues. To
>>> make things simple, I will post the issues one by one. ;-)
>>>
>>> Question: How to handle bootclasspath tests?
>>>
>>> IMHO, I'm not sure whether it is a good idea to use TestNG groups to
>>> differentiate the "bootclasspath" tests and "classpath" tests.
>>>
>>> If we put "bootclasspath" and "classpath" tests in the same directory,
>>> and use TestNG groups to differentiate them. When we want to run the
>>> "bootclasspath" tests, we have to put all tests in bootclasspath
>>> including the "classpath" tests. I don't think it's a good approach.
>>> And I cannot find any ways to compile the java sources from one
>>> directory into several different directories (ANT or Eclipse). So I
>>> suggest we put bootclasspath tests and classpath tests into different
>>> directories.
>>>
>> Agreed - this is a fairly simple separation, and there is good reason to
>> do it.
>> My vote's for keeping bootclasspath and classpath tests physically separate.
>>

> Yes, I think this is the best way to handle this distinction too.
>
> There are going to be more than enough "groups".  I thought about some
> more earlier while trying the awt tests... we should identify which
> tests require a display to run and which may be run "headless".

That's a good point, Mark. Just thinking about whether we could skip the
tests which require a display when there is no display available. If
someone try to run Harmony tests on a Linux server, the awt/swing tests
shall be skipped. Any ideas?

I will open another thread to discuss TestNG groups :-)

Best regards,
Richard

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Richard Liang wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm investigating the possibilities of migrating Harmony tests from
> JUnit/Directory layout to TestNG while reviewing all the related
> thread in mailing list. And I will try to answer the open issues. To
> make things simple, I will post the issues one by one. ;-)
>
> Question: How to handle bootclasspath tests?
>
> IMHO, I'm not sure whether it is a good idea to use TestNG groups to
> differentiate the "bootclasspath" tests and "classpath" tests.
>
> If we put "bootclasspath" and "classpath" tests in the same directory,
> and use TestNG groups to differentiate them. When we want to run the
> "bootclasspath" tests, we have to put all tests in bootclasspath
> including the "classpath" tests. I don't think it's a good approach.
> And I cannot find any ways to compile the java sources from one
> directory into several different directories (ANT or Eclipse). So I
> suggest we put bootclasspath tests and classpath tests into different
> directories.

Agreed - this is a fairly simple separation, and there is good reason to
do it.
My vote's for keeping bootclasspath and classpath tests physically separate.

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Deakin