Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by rmiller <ro...@cobancorporation.com> on 2006/12/04 20:38:12 UTC

Transaction Controller

According to the user manual: "The Transaction Controller times how long it
takes for all its children to run."

When a user logs into an application I am testing there are two HTTP Request
samplers, one that sets the JSESSIONID and another that sends the login
request with its parameters. In order to time the login process I created a
Transaction Controller element called LOGIN and put the two request samplers
as children of it. When I run the test I expected the LOGIN Transaction
Controller response time to be the sum of the two children but here is what
I see in the Summary Report for average response time:
css;jsessionid - 44
LOGIN/action.process - 57
LOGIN - 239

The LOGIN Transaction Controller is more than double the sum of its
children. What am I missing here?

Regards,
Ron Miller

RE: Transaction Controller

Posted by Ron Miller <ro...@cobancorporation.com>.
It's still not clear what the problem is. The first thing I noticed in
the View Results Tree listener is that the LOGIN/action.process request
returns a 302. I thought that this might be the culprit even though I
don't have Follow Redirects checked in the request element. To test this
I added two more elements to the script after the login to navigate to
another page and back again. These are not static html pages (they are
jsps) but they do not contain a redirect. I wrapped these in a
Transaction Controller and ran the test again with 5 users, 1 loop:

css;jsessionid - 0
LOGIN/action.process - 15
LOGIN Transaction Controller - 18

Page 2 - 34
Page 1 - 53
PAGE Transaction Controller - 115

So it doesn't look like the redirect is causing it.

My execution tree looks like this:

- Login form
- LOGIN Transaction Controller
	- css;jsessionid