Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/01 13:29:22 UTC

[VOTE] Make Mavibot a Directory subproject

Hi guys,

last year, I started an experiment in labs@apache.org, the Mavibot MVCC
Btree. It has reached a first step, we can now use it as a backend for
ApacheDS, thanks to Kiran - who joined me on the Mavibot effort, making
it stable enough to be used in ApacheDS).

This morning, I conducted some performance tests, comparing JDBM and
Mavibot on a 10K entries base :

CoreSession
===========

Mavibot 10K entries
-------------------
Add : 80s, 125/s
Search : 7392/s

Jdbm 10k entries
----------------
Add : 167s, 59/s
Search : 654/s

NetworkeSession
===============

Mavibot 10K entries
-------------------
Add : 85s, 117/s
Search : 1802/s

Jdbm 10k entries
----------------
Add : 176s, 56/s
Search : 506/s

As we can see, either on CoreSession, or through the network, the gain
over JDBM is really clear. It's ten time faster.

So this vote to integrate Mavibot as a Directory Subproject, in order to
be able to release it and use it as our base backend in a near future.
It's not feature complete yet, but the core BTree already works.

So let's vote :
[ ] +1 : make Mavibot a Directory Subproject
[ ] +/-0 : I don't mind
[ ] -1 : No, Mavibot should not become a Directory subproject

Thanks !

and of course, my +1

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [VOTE] Make Mavibot a Directory subproject

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 08/01/2013 01:29 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> [X] +1 : make Mavibot a Directory Subproject

Well done!

Re: [VOTE] Make Mavibot a Directory subproject

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 8/1/13 1:32 PM, Alex Karasulu a écrit :
> +1
>
> Great job guys this is a true advance!

Regarding the performances we get with JDBM, I would say I was really
disapointed. I remember we have made some perf test 3 years ago with
SLAMD, and get up to 13 000 search/s, so getting down to 506/s with JDBM
is just really really bad.

Now, the server has been heavily modified to protect the database
against concurrent modifications, and that forces us to add locks and to
use a journal and transactions in JDBM. This has certainly slowed down
the server a lot, but still, I would like to run the exact same tests
with older versions (I have all of them since 1.5.0 installed on an old
machine).

Will do that next week.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex

Re: [Result] [VOTE] Make Mavibot a Directory subproject

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Awesome!

Congrats guys!

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

[Result] [VOTE] Make Mavibot a Directory subproject

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>wrote:

> [X] +1 : make Mavibot a Directory Subproject
>
> This is going to make a huge different for ApacheDS.
>
> Regards,
> Pierre-Arnaud
>
> PS: Should the Labs ML be in copy of the vote?

You probably want just the summary sent to them to prevent the noise.

Regards,
Alex

Re: [VOTE] Make Mavibot a Directory subproject

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
[X] +1 : make Mavibot a Directory Subproject

thanks Emmanuel

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

Re: [VOTE] Make Mavibot a Directory subproject

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.

Posted by Felix Knecht <fe...@apache.org>.
[X] +1 : make Mavibot a Directory Subproject

Regards
Felix