Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Utkarsh Dave <ut...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/02 00:18:31 UTC

Information on sessionCacheSize !

Hello Team and Tomcat users,

I am trying to gather more information and the effect of parameter
"sessionCacheSize" in server.xml for a ssl connector.
I see this from the documentation "The number of SSL sessions to maintain
in the session cache."
If i do not add this parameter...my tomcat slows down and all the web
access becomes extremly slow within a couple of days.
This is because by default "0" size is assigned to this parameter which
means unlimited cached sessions.
So we added the parameter with the value of sessionCacheSize=10000
What is the effect of 10k cached session on tomcat, can the problem reoccur
once 10k sessions are cached back.
I am planning to modify it to test this with a value of sessionCacheSize=1.
How can I test to come to a good value for sessioncachesize.

My product is using tomcat 7.0.81 (bio connector) with openjdk1.7.0.161 on
Linux RedHat 6.

-Thanks
Utkarsh

Re: Information on sessionCacheSize !

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 02/05/18 01:18, Utkarsh Dave wrote:
> Hello Team and Tomcat users,
>
> I am trying to gather more information and the effect of parameter
> "sessionCacheSize" in server.xml for a ssl connector.
> I see this from the documentation "The number of SSL sessions to maintain
> in the session cache."

See also:
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/javax/net/ssl/SSLSessionContext.html#setSessionCacheSize-int-

This is where the provided value ends up.

> If i do not add this parameter...my tomcat slows down and all the web
> access becomes extremly slow within a couple of days.
> This is because by default "0" size is assigned to this parameter which
> means unlimited cached sessions.
> So we added the parameter with the value of sessionCacheSize=10000
> What is the effect of 10k cached session on tomcat, can the problem reoccur
> once 10k sessions are cached back.

Each system will be different. The only way to know the impact on your
system is to test it.

> I am planning to modify it to test this with a value of sessionCacheSize=1.
> How can I test to come to a good value for sessioncachesize.

Profiling and testing.

Mark